Monday, 28 April 2014

Cotton wool + Gesso + shimmery paints = canvas gorgeousness!




Hello there!

Sometimes we all push our boundaries, try new techniques, experiment with materials and get excited when it works out just how we imagined it. Well, this is one of those cases. Intrigued? Then read on...

I am here to share the results of my recent experiment. I created a small 6" x 6" mixed media canvas art using a regular cotton wool! That's right... a cotton wool. I got the idea from my dear daughter Isabella this Easter when she was making her woolly sheep covering the cotton balls with her 'gloopy glue'. If you have been following my work you will know that I am mad about texture and that I like anything shiny. I also like to combine the two elements. This is where I decided to use pieces of a cotton wool covered in Gesso and formed into petal shapes on my canvas with a palette knife. It worked great!!! It dried overnight and is firm and totally paintable. You can see the first stage here...
 

Now comes the shimmery part.... I have recently started using my bright Cosmic Shimmer Watercolour paints (these are so pretty!) and wanted to create something with them... ASAP! I played with the green, blue, yellow, orange, dark and light pinks and purple. I am totally amazed as they actually give quite a decent surface coverage with a minimal amount and the colours are very vivid. I love them! Because the surface beneath is textured, the colour tends to accumulate in the valleys and the hills therefore stay lighter which only contributes to the overall effect. If you tilt the picture to one side you get a gorgeous silky shimmery look all over and on the other you get the grungy textured yumminess with the splash of gorgeous colours! I will definitely be using this technique again! I have taken a few photos for you so hopefully you can see what I mean. This is what it looked like painted...



Here you can see how the look changes when tilted to one side or the other...



As you can see, in the end I did a bit of subtle stamping with my black Stazon and my Prima stamps and doodling with my black Artists Pen by Faber-Castell. I wanted to keep it fairly simply due to the character of the paint used and the size of the canvas. Here are a couple of close ups...



...and here's the finished piece...



NOTE: I am going to create two more same style paintings to make a matching trio that will be up on my Etsy shop (when finally set up) and will be for sale either together or individually. I haven't given it that much thought yet. I'll decide once I have the other two finished.

It is amazing what you can create with a little bit of imagination and a bit of a regular cotton wool. I hope you are as excited as I am. If you decide to try this technique please let me know so I can see your lovely creation. I'll look forward to it!

Thank you for stopping by! Have a great day!

Ingrid xxx

1 comment:

  1. Just had to take a look at your technique. Fabulous. Well done Isabella for the inspiration.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.