Tuesday, 1 April 2014

'Don't be afraid...' - art journal page



Hello!

How many people have you managed to 'fool' by now? I like to have a bit of innocent fun on a Fool's Day and get one on Greg each year. This time I thought I'd take it easy on him and just told him just before he was supposed to depart for his day of work on his bike that his back tyre was flat... of course, he rushed to check and realised only when he saw the grin on my face :) hehe...

I was a busy bee last night and created another journal page. This time I got inspired by the new Emotional Challenge over at Mixed Media Place (my favourite place for mixed media inspiration, amazing!!). This time they are exploring 'Curiosity'. This is the first time I'm entering a piece there. The is emotion very close to my heart and it has always been a big part of my life so I immediately started playing with the idea and how I would portray it. If I think of 'curiosity', a keyhole immediately pops into my head (no idea why, it's just an association, I guess) so I decided to create something whimsical and fantasy like, hence the curious girl peaking from one world into another through a keyhole. I love exploring new things, venturing into the unknown and am naturally really curious. As a child I would buy Mum a presie and insisted she would open it before her birthday as I just couldn't wait for her to see it and to see what she would think of it. This page is all about being inquisitive, trying new things and not to be afraid to explore the unknown, whether on personal level or the world itself. I always tell my little girl ' you never know what it's like, if you haven't tried it' and this is something I live by myself.

NOTE: you can skip the paragraph in Italic font, if you don't need to know HOW and WHAT was used to create the page.

I started by stamping on a sheet of white tissue paper. I used the Prima Vintage Vanity stamp and a few others to create a pattern and adhered it with my Pebeo Matte Medium gel to my pages. A light coat of Gesso followed, the pages where closed and opened to create some texture, then a coat of acrylics in brown hues and gold, which was then rubbed of. I played with creating splatters and other fun techniques to create my background. Then I drew and cut out the keyhole, stamped a flourish around it and used a hot glue and brown acrylics to make the vines climbing around it. I also used my Jumbo Trio Butterflies by Stampendous and Stazon to add texture and doodled with my white Posca pen. I applied a little bit of golden acry;ic paint here and there and sponged my Distress Ink in Walnut Stain over a dry wall tape to add some interest. I also used it and my Stazon around the edges. The frame for the motto was made with my Cuttlebug die cutter and an embossing folder duo (Damask), brown and gold acrylic paints and and used a couple of golden brads on the sides and adhered it to the page. I have to keep an eye on how I create my pages so that my journal doesn't get overly bulky! 
Then I played with the background page that was to be behind the main page spread. I wanted this one to be colourful, inviting and exciting in contrast to the main darker one to create the illusion of luring the curious folk into this pretty world. So I painted a field of flowers with my acrylics on top of some Gesso and Dylusions spray. I used a dry wall tape to create the texture in the Gesso here by pressing it into it. I stamped the bird and my butterflies and coloured them in with Big Brush pens. I made some vines with my hot glue gun and brown acrylics on the ground to coordinate with the key hole. 
The little girl was hand drawn, coloured in using my Big Brush pens scribbled on a craft sheet and used with water and a bit of white acrylic paint. Then I doodled on her with my black Muji pen (0.5) and a white Posca pen. I wrote the sentiment in black using my Big Brush pen.

More pics:





























I hope I have sparked a little inspiration with a good doze of need for exploring in you with this page spread. Feel free to leave a comment and share if you like it. Bye for now and have a great day! Thank you for stopping by!

Best wishes,

Ingrid xxx

10 comments:

  1. what's happen behind the keyhole?
    great idea!
    gorgeous background

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D she bravely ventured into the new world and had an amazing time...
    Thank you very much! I'm glad you like it, best wishes,
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very-very beautiful!!! I think it's great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marina! Thank you for your sweet comment.
      Ingrid x

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is beautiful!!!!! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks, Pascale! I'm so glad you like it.
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb idea and such a beautiful page! Thank you for joining the MMP challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your sweet comment, Riikka! Best wishes,
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful take on the challenge. LOVE it.
    Thanks for playing with us at MMP.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your sweet comment, Linda!
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.