Friday, 11 April 2014

Happy Hoppy Easter - art journaling



Hello and Happy Friday! 

The Easter is nearly here! What do you do at Easter? Here in England we eat a roast, decorate eggs and organise fun games like an egg hunt for the little ones. In the Czech republic we decorate eggs too, but the tradition slightly differs. The boys get to whip the girls with a platted stick! That's right! And you have to give them some of your decorated egg and something nice to eat and drink for it! In some parts of Moravia and some parts of Slovakia the girls get soaked! That doesn't sound better, does it? Here's a little article from Wikipedia which will explain it a bit better ;)

In the Czech Republic and Slovakia, a tradition of spanking or whipping is carried out on Easter Monday. In the morning, men spank women with a special handmade whip called a pomlázka (in Czech) or korbáč (in Slovak), or, in eastern Moravia and Slovakia, throw cold water on them. The pomlázka/korbáč consists of eight, twelve or even twenty-four withies (willow rods), is usually from half a meter to two meters long and decorated with coloured ribbons at the end. The spanking is not painful or intended to cause suffering. A legend says that women should be spanked with a whip in order to keep their health and beauty during the whole next year.[2]
An additional purpose can be for men to exhibit their attraction to women; unvisited women can even feel offended. Traditionally, the spanked woman gives a coloured egg and sometimes a small amount of money to the man as a sign of her thanks. In some regions, the women can get revenge in the afternoon or the following day when they can pour a bucket of cold water on any man. The habit slightly varies across Slovakia and the Czech Republic. A similar tradition existed in Poland (where it is called Dyngus Day), but it is now little more than an all-day water fight.Well, despite all that we do have heaps of fun! I love chocolate for ones! What a great excuse to get some ;)

With the Easter nearly here I decided to make another art journal page, this time in yellow and green colour, as promised on Wednesday when I introduced my whimsical purple girl (click here to find out more). This time I used Gesso, Pure Sunshine & Dirty Martini Dylusions to create the background. I also used my green and light blue glitter pastes by GlitzCraft, some stamping with Stazon, dry wall tape, some doodling, water stenciling, gesso stenciling, ripping the surface of the pages with a masking tape to create some yummy grungy texture etc. Then I drew my girl and the bunny on a separate paper, coloured them in with my pencils and adhered them down with my Pebeo matte gel. This time I wanted a softer look and used my CR2 Spectrum Noir and a white pencil in the girl's face. Then added some other colours and painted her hair and her top in acrylics. I cut out my banner and the eggs out of some patterned paper (some scraps) and adhered them down with the matte gel. I used my beloved Big Brush pens to shade and colour and finished the pages with adding details with my black Muji pen and my white Posca pen. The writing was done with my black Big Brush pen and the Muji pen. I also punched out a few butterflies, covered them in a pink, green and blue glitter paste and adhered them to her hair and on top of the egg.

More pics:






I like this girl and love my silly little bunny pretending to be a chick ;) What do you think?

I shall enter this page spread into a challenge.... Simon Says Stamp Wed Challenge! Their current challenge is all about Easter and/or Sweet Treats so I thought, why not?!

Thank you for stopping by, have a great weekend!

Best wishes,

Ingrid xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.