Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Altered lid - Shabby Chic wall decor



Good morning, lovely people!

I hope you had a good weekend? It was mostly rainy here in London so despite having a Bank Holiday weekend we didn't get to do much outdoors. Did I mention how much I love English weather... NOT!

I wasn't slacking though. I decided to de-clatter my craft space and have come across this lid that used to be on a round box of pampering toiletries for a mummy-to be. I saved silly things like that... 'in case they get handy one day..' I decided to alter it as it reminded me of a round canvas. It is very sturdy so perfect for the purpose. This is what I did...


This is the round lid, about 20cm in diameter

After I covered the whole lid in Gesso (2x) I went over it with my Scarlet Red Artists Acrylic paint and I was not looking for perfection

Then I did the same with the Ligh Blue paint, but used a piece of paper to peel some of the paint off to reveal the white and red beneath this layer. I also used my heat gun to bubble the paint here and there and sanded gently. I applied a bit of Gesso here and there over the bumps as well. I wanted to achieve the old wall/painted door kind of effect

This was the result of that play
TIP: the acrylic paint applied in a thinner layer dries quite quickly and the best time to start stripping the top layer off is when the paint is sticky to touch, just lay a piece of paper over it, run your fingers over it and peel. You can also use a sand paper to gently uncover the top layer. 

I used my Damask (Cuttlebug) embossing folder & Gesso to stamp with

What a great background for some art journaling! I will add this pic to my 'Freebies' page where you can save it onto your PC should you wish. As you can see I used the Prima Script stamp & Teal Zeal Memento ink here

I added some roses (Prima, Fairy Collection) with my Espresso Memento Ink

Here's the finished piece decorated with some handmade cheesecloth flowers, some Prima flowers, mulberry flowers, pearls, silver Glitter Frosting Paste by Glitzcraft, Tim Holtz die cuts & embellishments, etc. 



What do you think? I enjoyed making my faux peeled/aged wall background and will be using this technique again. It is perfect for the shabby chic style. 

I would like to enter this artsy piece into the following challenges: 

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog - The Artsy Stamp (both of the stamps by Prima used are quite artsy, so I hope this counts..) 
Scribble & Scrap Blog - Always, Anything Goes
Sweet Stampin' Challenge Blog - Sparkle & Shine

I look forward to reading your comments! Thank you for stopping by!

All the best, 

Ingrid xxx

17 comments:

  1. Ooh Think Next Time I Am At The Craft Shop I Must Get Some GEsso Have The Paint And Lots Of Tin Lids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be careful...it's addictive! Once you start creating all that texture and revealing the layers beneath you won't want to stop! :) One tip... the paint dries quite quickly so don't let it dry completely, the best time to start stripping it is when you touch it and it feels sticky... ;)
    Hope you are well. Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty creation!
    Thank you for sparkling with us at Sweet Stampin this week, Wedgie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, Wedgie! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a brilliant creation. So creative and gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your sweet comment, Meihsia! Ingrid x

      Delete
  6. Fabulous creation.

    Thanks for sharing at Sweet Stampin this week.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! I love those colors together. So bright and cheerful! Thank you for sharing your project with us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle, I'm so glad you like it! Ingrid :)

      Delete
  8. beautiful piece and great tutorial! Thanks so much for joining us at the simon says stamp monday challenge blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks, Ashli! Best wishes, Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty!! Gorgeous background and the flowers and bird are all wonderful. Love the little crown on the bird. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Anna-Karin, I'm delighted that you like it! Best wishes,
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for joining us at Scribble & Scrap. A great creation thank you for taking part, have fun and Keeeeeeep Crafting Katie DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much, Katie! Best wishes,
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful Ingrid..love using unused items at home as canvas! Am definitely trying this peeled paint technique. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.