Saturday, 10 May 2014

Faux Leather Notebook



Hey there!

I hope you are enjoying your weekend! It's been raining again so indoor activities and maybe baking a pizza it is for us. We've been keeping busy as always, Isabella and Chloe' are bouncing around, Daddy went shopping and Mummy is crafting on and off in between assisting the little ones and trying to get this house in order.

There's something I'd like to show you. I have made myself a faux leather notebook and some spare covers. How you ask... I came across Sheena Douglass's video tutorial on youtube on how to make a faux leather covers for a notebook. It works!!! I'm so excited by this I can't even tell you! Not only I now have a lovely small jotting book, but also this has given me tons of ideas where this technique could be used. I intend to make a few things using this technique and will share some with you as soon as they're made.

I used my semi-gloss Bindex to seal the covers instead of the Seal and Shine spray and I also
covered the inside of the covers in fabric (used Matte gel). The grey covers in a white with black polka dots fabric and the brown ones in a light beige fabric. I let them fray to add to the distressed look. A couple of embossing folders (Damask by Cuttlebug & one that came with a magazine) were used to create the texture and my espresso memento dye ink to create the distressed look.

I have some photos for you...





The covers can be customised with metal trinkets, charms, eyelets, ribbons or a lace to tie a knot to close it. I used 5 sheets of paper trimmed to the size of the covers (1/4 smaller) per a signature (5 signatures in total)  and a hot glue gun to put it together. Simple as! 

I decided to embellish mine. I die cut and heat embossed the main piece with a combination of a bronze UTEE, golden embossing powders & a very fine warm golden glitter, glued it down and added a couple of brads. The picture doesn't do it justice! I also poked a hole in the top spine and threaded some laces and a ribbon through. The stitching around the cover is made with a golden thread. The dry embossing makes it very pretty so I was happy with this amount of embellishing. It was nearly impossible to take a good picture as it has been so rainy and dark outside today... 





I would like to enter this notebook into the 'Anyting But a Card' challenge over at Simply Create Too and as my project has a stitching I will also enter the Virginia's View Challenge #3. 

I hope I have inspired you to go ahead and make your own as it really is easy and the embellishments are totally optional. The whole idea is totally awesome! Thank you, Sheena Douglass! 

Have a great weekend! Thank you for stopping by and all the best, 

Ingrid xxx 


4 comments:

  1. How neat and fabulous is this, Ingrid! The faux leather cover is amazing in itself! The stitching around the borders really make the design look so much like an actual Leather cover book! And the faux metal piece is beautifully crafted! Thanks so much for playing Virgina's View Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Virginia! This was such a fun project. thank you for stopping by!
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingrid: Love your notebook--wonderful job! Very glad you joined in the Simply Create Too "Anything But a Card Challenge" & hope you enter our next challenge also.

    Diane
    Simply Create Too Design Team
    http://DianesDigitalDesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane! Thank you very much! I look forward to the next challenge! Ingrid x

      Delete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.