Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Mixed Media Tag on May, 13th!



Happy May 13th!

Some of you are probably suspicious so forget the number and admire the tag itself :) I used to dislike it too and for a good reason. My brother cracked his head open on a 13th of one month and again on a 13th another month, the same day that I jumped of a tree onto a 10cm rusty nail beated into a wooden board... What was it doing in a forest? No idea! Why did I have to jump off? Because I don't like climbing ladders or any equivalent of such height and my friend talked me into following her up this tall tree trunk, just because, and I couldn't climb down so she recommended jumping down. So I did... onto this horrible rusty massive nail hidden by weeds that went through my foot. So I hobbled home, rang the door bell, my brother ran to open the door and whack!! His head hit the door frame (a thinner construction/ metal piece) and right next to the old wound so needed stitches again. Our Mum used to joke she would tie us to the kitchen table for the day on a 13th :) As I got older I decided it was silly NOT to like a number so now I do like it, quite a lot as there is a story from my childhood behind it that I will never forget.

Today I made this mixed media tag with a view to enter it into a few challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog  - 'M' - Mixed Media on 13th May using a Masking tape...mmmmm :)
That's Crafty - Spring is in the air

I had a watercolour (300gsm) card to hand that I covered in Dylusions (Calypso Teal and Pink Fuchsia) and 'smooching' it around in this colourful puddle I got this gorgeous teal and purple background. I cut it into a tag shape. Next step was to apply my masking tape crinkling it as I was applying it. Then I used some Tim Holtz rub-ons here and there and this where the large number 13 came handy! I mixed up some clear embossing powder with Gesso to create a coarse molding paste which I applied to sides and over the masking tape. I also made circles with gesso here and there and stamped a mesh with stazon in some places. You will notice that the dylusions came to the surface through the paste and the gesso - I love when this happens! I dyed some gauze wit the Teal Zeal Memento ink and adhered it. You know me, I can't do anything without a bit of glitz so I went ahead and smeared some light blue glitter frosting paste by Glitzcraft over the masking tape and some edges and sprinkled a touch of silver glitter over whilst it was still wet. Nice! I stamped my Jumbo Butterfly (Stampendous) onto a vellum and embossed it with a white WOW! embossing powder, sponged the back of it with my Teal Zeal and Bahama Blue Memento dye inks and adhered it to the hills I made with the mix of the masking tape, the coarse tape and the glitter goodness. I don't have any fancy pins, but the plan was to add one over the butterfly so I went ahead and made one with silver beads and some sequin flowers with a purple hue to match my colour scheme (I'm a bit of a perfectionist... all has to be matchy matchy... is it a good thing? No idea, but that's me!). I tacked some mixed sized flat sequin circles here and there with Glossy Accents, stapled my matchy matchy lace with the white threaded ribbon and ta daaah! The tag was done! More pics...




I hope you like it! Thank you for stopping by, be sure to leave some love down in the comment section. I'll look forward to it!

Best wishes,

Ingrid xxx


10 comments:

  1. Love it, enjoyed reading this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, lovely Lori! Thank you for visiting and leaving a sweet comment. :) have a great day! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful tag! Love the deep colors of the background! The butterfly is stunning too. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sandra! Thank you for stopping by and for the kind comments! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunnner! Thank you for entering it into That's Crafty's Spring challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a terrific tag! However our challenge calls for the use of a clothes Pin/peg as per the photo ... But thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Ros. I must have misread it in my haste :) Thank you, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous Ingrid!! Love the shades of blue, butterflies and all the lovely textures. And it is a funny story about the date too. I also got a rusty nail in my foot once as a child. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anna-Karin! Thank you very much, I'm so glad you like it. It means a lot when it comes from a pro like you :) Oh, so you can relate :) We can giggle about it now... :) Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment. Have a great day!
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.