Friday, 13 June 2014

Father's Day Card



Hello!

It's Friday, two days left before we celebrate the Dads! It is a special day in our home as our first baby was born on a Father's day. I remember being in a hospital and it took 22 long hours, being induced so not being able to eat, sleep or move around, paint etc. Greg said he suffered the most :) ... he had to sleep in the chair in the corner of our room, he had a hair in his lunch... poor guy! :) But in the end it was all worth it, because our little one was born on the evening of a Father's Day so I get a proud reminder of this from him each year (never mind me doing all the work on that day...!).

So here I am with a card for him... very masculine, grungy and artsy, not a pink in sight! :) Check it out...





The card base is a 5.5" x 5.5" in cream colour. I created my background on this card base with the use of my Walnut Stain Distress Ink by Tim Holtz and my Bamboo Leaves Memento Ink by Tsuchienko. The plan was to join the Take It Make It Challenge at Craft Stamper Magazine and their June challenge which explores 'Bleach Blocking' technique. I haven't got a rectangular blending tool so I used a piece of rectangular felt instead in the same way. After applying my inks all over I removed some of the ink using my felt piece and also made splatters with water all over. I used the same Distress Ink and my Hero Arts 'Time to Stamp' background stamp, the 'Book' stamp by Prima and the Papermania 'Chronology' stamps to add interest to my background. I wanted this card to be grungy and 'manly' so I sanded down and distressed the edges of a couple of strips of Core'dinations cardstock (dark brown and pale green) that I then layered on top of each other. I created my front panel the same way as the card base only I left out the Hero Arts and the Chronology Stamps as I wanted to stamp my sentiment on this panel and it would be way too busy. We don't really drink nowadays, but I happened to have a beer bottle cap that I slightly straightened up and filled with my black glittery Sculpey Accents over a cello bag (to avoid finger prints), engraved the word 'DAD' into it and decorated the edges of it. This was to be my final word of my sentiment which I really love... 'No matter how tall I get I will always look up to my Dad'. The bottle cap actually has green edges from that side so it was perfect for my card, I like when things work out or 'just happen'. The sentiment was put together using an alphabet from the Happy Days stamps set that came with the Papercraft Inspirations Magazine not so long ago. I sponged and splattered the inside of my card too, put my front panels together with my Anita's Tacky glue and used pieces of a dimensional tape between the card base and the front panel after wrapping some twine around them. I added my handmade beer cap badge and left it at that.




What do you think? I loved using the felt on my distressed background and will be using this again. It looks great!
I would like to enter this card into another couple of challenges:

Country View Challenges - Only Men Allowed
Premium Craft Brands Pan Pastel UK - One for the boys

Thank you for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

Ingrid xxx

24 comments:

  1. Hello Ingrid,
    Well I think the felt effect on your bg looks great too, when I first saw the Bg I was eager to read how you created it, and goodness it works very well, I may have to give this a go myself!, The card is amazing no doubt about that, I am sure the man who receives it is going to love all the work and thought that has been put into it, well done. Thank you so much for joining us this month at CVC, we are thrilled you have participated.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your sweet comment, Sue! Ingrid x

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous,love the sentiment.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doreen! I'm glad you like it ;) x

      Delete
  3. beautiful and I love the style :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fab Ingrid,I love the aged look of it. Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog and for following me now too, I am more then happy to become a follower of you. I shall look forward to looking through your blog later at all your wonderful artwork,it really is a pleasure to see what other arty people create : )

    Have a great weekend
    Hugs
    Donna.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello and welcome, Donna! I hope you like what you see whilst browsing! I will be doing the same later. Can't wait! Lovely to meet you! Have a great weekend too! Ingrid :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today! I appreciate you stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous Ingrid! Love the grungyness, and texture feel! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! I appreciate it! I follow you too!

    Wishes From A Broad
    Debbie
    ^..^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie, and welcome! I'm so pleased to be able to share my crafty creations with you ;) Ingrid x

      Delete
  8. Hi Ingrid, Your use of the bleach blocking technique made for a beautiful, layered background! The card is masculine yet really gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at the Take It Make It Challenge. ~ Renee xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Renee! Many thanks for your kind comment. Best wishes,
    Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the bleach blocking adds a perfect masculine feel on this card.
    Thanks for joining in the Craft Stamper Take It, Make It challenge.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks for your kind comment, Dot! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning and heartfelt card Ingrid...a keeper to be treasured for sure :-)
    Thank you so much for joining in with the Take it Make it challenge.
    Tracy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card Ingrid, the background is fabulous. Thanks for sharing with us at the Take It Make It Challenge. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! What a fabulous card ..... great use of the bleach blocking technique. Thanks for joining in with the Craft Stamper TIMI Challenge ..... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning card Ingrid, thank you for joining us at Craft Stamper this month. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! Thank you so muh for all of your kind comments, dear Craft Stamper Ladies!! :) Much appreciated!! Ingrid xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE this! Great colours, and that is a really useful tip about avoiding fingerprints in clay! Thanks for playing along with the Craft Stamper blog challenge this month! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful card! Thank you for joining the challenge at Craft Stamper!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.