Friday, 6 June 2014

'Inspired by a song' GDT cards for Crafty Catz


Hello there!

Today is a good day :) Today is the day I get to team up with the lovely Crafty Catz Challenge Blog for the first time!

This week's challenge is 'Inspired by a song' so this should get your creative juices flowing!:)

The sponsor of this challenge is ....


...and the generous prize for the winner of this challenge is... 

7 images of winner's choice! 

This is amazing! Grab your craft tools and supplies and get crafting! What a fun theme this is as well... the Boogaboo Digi Stamps have a great choice of stamps which would be fun to use on your projects. This is not a must and it doesn't have to be a card either, as long as you follow the theme. One little advice... be aware that if you use written lyrics of a song on your creation you should be prepared to pay the royalties due to the copyright law, but if they are lyrics of a very very old song in a public domain you should be ok. Otherwise get as creative as your heart desires. I can't wait to see your fabulosities! :) 

If you are a newbie to my new blog you might like to take a little browse around to see what arty crafty things I make. If you look at my cards you will notice a few things... I like contemporary, bold, bright and simple ish with a bit of grunge and/or glitz. I do not do tons of layers or frills...my brain just doesn't work that way although I do like the look very much. I made not one but two cards with the lovely stamps by Boogaboo for this week's challenge. This is because I am awfully indecisive and I just couldn't pick which one to show you... so you have two ;) More inspiration, bonus! Here they are...

My first card is more artsy...


 

The card front was created using a 300gsm watercolour cardstock. I painted it with a thin coat of Gesso, then used my XXX (kisses) stamp and Gesso to stamp all over. When dry, I 'smooched' it around on my craft sheer in a mix of scribbles of pink and red Big Brush pens by Faber-Castell and a spritz of a handmade violet shimmer spray (violet mica + water). I did this a few times, dried it and sanded down the whole card. This revealed the white Gesso stamping. I distressed the endges with my scissors, ran my silver Glitter Frosting Paste by GlitzCraft here and there and made black splatters using a black Posca pen. The image was cut out and adhered with some dimensional tape. It's not that I was lazy to colour it in, it just worked best black and white for this card, trust me, I had three goes at this! I adhered a twisted black embroidery string with a bow and adhered the lot onto a black card base. A voila'! The background is busy enough so I have kept the rest of the card simple. You may have guessed...kisses all over the background, a rose, a 'for you' sentiment and a dramatic overall look... My card was inspired by the 'Kiss from a rose' song by Seal! If you click on the image of the card it will take you to youtube to the said gorgeous song!

Why have I chosen this song? It is not only that this is one of the most beautiful songs out there and the singer has a fabulous voice it is also close to my heart. My fiance' Greg studied at The Brits School, famous for being filled with many amazingly talented young people full of ambition, and this song was his very first performance and so brings back memories. Greg also hapened to be one of the 20 finalists in the X Factor 2005 and was put through the 'boot camp' there which is an amazing achievement considering the thousands and thousands of people auditioning every year! We have an artsy household! My partner is a musician and I'm into the arty crafty stuff. I do the DIY, he sings me to it... :) no, not really...but it would be nice  :)

The second card was inspired by my clubbing days when I used to hang out with the Freemason at the Pacha club in London... a while back, those were the days..! But I still love the song... 'Let it rain down love'... click on my card below to listen to the song on youtube and you'll be dancing all the way to your craft room!!:)




This card base is in a grey colour and I used the left over strip over the yellow pattern paper for contrast (I sponged the edges of the yellow paper with a yellow Memento dye ink, Lily Rose's Summer's Day paper collection). The focal image was coloured using my Spectrum Noir markers, Big Brush pens by Faber-Castell & some coloured pencils. I like to use a combination of these to achieve the right colours and shading... In case you wonder, it's ok to mix alcohol markers when it comes to brands. Also, it is good to know that the Big Brush pens do not bleed to the other side of your paper unlike the alcohol markers and if you want to achieve a watercolour look just scribble them on your craft sheet and pick up the colours with your water brush. Both, alcohol markers and the Big Brush pens, are permanent when dry so don't forget to protect your work surface. I added my falling sequin red hearts and adhered them with Glossy Accents by Ranger. I also added the Glossy Accents to the umbrella handle. I chose to stamp my sentiment on te inside in this case. 

I hope you like my cards! Feel free to comment, I'd love to hear from you! Also, if you'd like to keep up to date with my creations, and I do post on regular basis, then don't forget to hit the 'Join with Google' button! 

Thank you for stopping by! Good luck with the challenge! 

Ingrid xxx  


10 comments:

  1. Love both of these- particularly the last one- so gorgeous. Songs have a way of transporting us immediately back to a place and time and the emotions we felt then. A great card challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Keren! I love your blog Make the Day Special... I had no idea that it was your blog! I LOVE the shop! I bought the Avery Elle Petals & Stems there! Yay! :) The cardmaking word is huge yet so small :) Thank you for stopping by, Keren! Ingrid xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Ingrid
    Both cards are fabulous and lovely to have you as out Guest Designer at Crafty Catz for June
    Hugs Dianne xx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne! Thank you for taking time to say hi and for your sweet comment! Ingrid x

      Delete
  3. Hello Ingrid ...your cards for this week are fab....nice to have you with us this month, hope you enjoy your time with us ...have a lovely weekend x carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Carol! Thank you for your kind comment, I'm glad you like them. Thank you for letting me a part of your team! Have a nice weekend too! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ingrid, am loving your creations, so different from each other but both so beautiful, really looking forward to working alongside you this month at Crafty Catz, enjoy your weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Jac! I always say.. 'Why to stick to one thing when there are so many!' .. I look forward to it too! Take care! Ingrid x

      Delete
  6. Hi Ingrid, Love all your different projects. Your cards this week are fabulous! So glad to have you with us at Crafty Catz. Thanks for your kind comment at my blog and I become one of your newest followers.
    Hugs Nick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nick! Lovely to meet you! Thank you too and hope you like what you see ;) Best wishes,
    Ingrid xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.