Thursday, 26 June 2014

'Moments' - album covers



Hello!

I have something a little different for you today! I had a craving to make something other than a card so I made a 8" x 8" album covers. I had a pre-cut white chip board pieces here with a couple of rings that were screaming to be altered. I used a few techniques here... triple heat embossing with stamping, creating backgrounds with Big Brush pens, colouring metal embellishments from grungy silver to grungy gold... curious? Then read on...

I started by covering both pieces with the gorgeous Madame Payraud's tissue paper by Docrafts using my matte gel by Pebeo. I punched the holes and pulled out the Big Brush pens by Faber-Castell.
These went on beautifully because I used the gel medium. I love them, I can't leave them alone now!



When I was happy with the colour saturation I went ahead and covered both pieces in Versamark ink and heat embossed them using a clear embossing powder. I did this a few times until I achieved a good thickness for me to press my Hero Arts background stamp into it. I did the same with the Stampendous Jumbo Butterfly. I also added an ultra-fine golden glitter, very lightly, just to add interest. I am so excited about the way it worked. Love it! If you have't tried this technique yet, you must!




Next, I worked on my embellishments. I drew and cut out a heart out of a chip board, covered it in Gesso and my red acrylic paint, sponged the edges with the Walnut Stain Distress Ink and tripple heat embossed it as well pressing a script sentiment stamp into it a few times until covered. I also added the same glitter to this piece.

I also coloured my Tim Holtz embellishments and the album rings in GB1 Spectrum Noir alcohol marker as I wanted it to have a dark golden hue. I also sponged the edges of the heart and the covers with Stazon. I wanted to accentuate the heat embossed & stamped design so I lightly went over the areas with the Stazon too.


Of course, I couldn't leave the inside of my covers 'ugly messy' so I made them 'pretty messy' instead :) What do I mean by that? I scribbled my brown and black Big Brush pens onto my craft sheet, spritzed with water and swooshed the pieces in this coloured puddle. Because of the type of paper and the melted embossing powder residue on the inside it made the whole piece look like a marble/stone. I sponged both pieces with my Walnut Stain Distress Ink and added some water splatters.



What I omitted to take a photo of is the coloured burlap piece. I simple cut a piece, added the Walnut Stain and the Teal Zeal Memento inks with a bit of water, scrunched it up, dried it and hot glued it into position. The sentiment was stamped, sponged, distressed and my Glossy Accents added on top. Here are a couple of close ups of the covers so far...



I added all my embellishments on the front cover, attached the rings and now my album is ready for some inner sections. I will make and share these with you when done. Stay tuned, if you a new visitor of my blog then don't forget to hit the 'Join with Google' button so you don't miss a thing :) Here are the rest of the photos of the finished album covers...






I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial and hope you like the album. Feel free to leave comments below. I always like to hear from you.

I would like to enter this fun grungy  mixed media piece into the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Blog - Anything Goes
Craft My Life - All Crafts Challenge (no cards)
That Craft Place - Anything Goes
Fussy and Fancy - Things with wings

Thank you so much for visiting! Have a wonderful day!

Ingrid xxx

12 comments:

  1. Oh Ingrid,this is stunning! Love all the techniques on here,that tissue paper...wow it's gorgeous. Love this type of art,you have done it beautifully :)

    Hugs
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaw, thank you, Donna! I'm so glad you like it :) Hugs back! Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliantly stunning, the colour combo is gorgeous and the whole card is beautiful..
    ♥aNNie
    The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Ingrid love the techniques you have used and fabulous colour's
    Hugs Dianne xx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Dianne! I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Ingrid xx

      Delete
  5. hi Ingrid! this is AAAAMAZING...I soooo luv the heart, it is stunning...WOW...you do wonderful work! Thank you so much for the inspiration. So glad you played along with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much, Teresa! I'm sooo glad you like it!! ;) much appreciated! Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is an incredible peice. I have never tried mixed media but seeing pieces like this makes me want to give it a go! Thanks for joining us at That Craft Place. xxx Stacey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw, thank you very much, Stacey! You should give it a go, you can let your imagination run wild when using mixed media... The possibilities are endless!! :) I'm glad you like my album cover. I need to work on filling it now ;) ingrid x

      Delete
  8. Great album cover! Terrific techniques! Love, love, love the big red shiny heart! Haven't tried using the big brushes but after seeing your results, I really should investigate them. Also, thanks for the reference to the tissue paper. I love printed tissue paper and there's not much out there. I didn't know about Docrafts which goes to show you what a great blogging community we belong to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just found this via Pinterest, it totally fabulous!!! Love the different techniques you showed, the end result looks brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.