Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Whimsical Fairy Houses - art journaling



Hello!

I can't believe it's already Wednesday! I'm not looking forward to tomorrow! Chloe' is going to have her third set of immunization jabs done. I can't stand the 'real' cry caused by pain... it absolutely kills me! I will never forget the feeling when I experienced this for the very first time and will never get used to it... aaah...

I decided to do a bit of art journaling today. This time I made a collage using patterned papers, acrylic paints, Gesso, pens etc... The whole idea was to create whimsical fairy tiny houses to compliment my sentiment 'Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.' I think this is self-explanatory, but if I was to explain further I'd say it has a lot to do with believing and faith. Do you believe in fairies? :)


I started by covering the whole page spread with PVA glue and randomly adhered pieces of patterned paper. I use a PVA glue under my paper and a gel medium on top...this way I don't waste my gel medium. This is in art journaling, if it was an art on a canvas I'd use gel medium under as well to ensure it holds all of the weight. I like tons of texture, baby! :) A thin layer of Gesso followed with some stenciling with acrylics on top. I also used a dry wall tape as a stencil and then Gesso again to lighten up the background. I cut out my houses and my flower tops out of the same paper and used the same technique here. Before I glued my houses down I adhered the edges of a doily onto the bottom of my page. I used Reeves watercolour crayons to colour and smudge here and there on the background, but used my Big Brush pens for the houses and the flowers as I knew I would be using a pen on them. In the end I outlined/sketched with my black Muji pen and my white Posca pen. I couldn't find my Faber-Castell artist black pen which is permanent when dry (unlike the Muji pen) and I should have tried to find it harder, because I managed to smudge the corner of my page right at the end! Don't worry, it's fixed, all good!:) Next time, I will just have my Artists Pen ready! Lesson learned! Here are some photos for you...





I hope you like my page spread. Feel free to leave a comment below, I always like to hear from you!

I'd like to enter this into the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge 'Magic'. To be honest I was making my magical fairy houses with this challenge in mind so here it goes!

Thank you for stopping by! Best wishes,

Ingrid xxx

8 comments:

  1. This is magical because it really speaks to me about imagination, whimsy, and fun. It is quite lyrical and I get really good feelings looking at it. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaw, how sweet, thank you! I'm so glad you like it. Thank you for taking time to let me know, much appreciated! Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! A lovely combination of colors and patterns. Such a whimsical little world. Thank you for sharing your journaling with us for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. It's magical! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, Michelle! I'm so glad you like my little fairy houses:) Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is just most fabulous!!! Pinned! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D how sweet, thank you! Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by, Maura! :) whimsical and nothing but a segment of my imagination ;) Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.