Saturday, 26 July 2014

Fantasy Woodland Flowers



Hi!

Welcome to my new blog buddies! Thank you for joining me here! I shall be in touch with you all soon!

I hope you are enjoying your weekend? It's nice and sunny here in London again! I went shopping pushing the pram this morning... it nearly killed me! :) But here I am with a new post. This time I have something rather fantastical (I don't mean fantastic, I'll let you be the judge of that :)). It all started watching the lovely Virginia Lu's video on reusing household items for crafting... it just reminded me I had some papers sprayed with Dylusions and that I ought to do something with them. I also hopped over to the oh-so talented Astrid McLean's gorgeous blog and she makes the most wonderful flowers so I thought I'd make some flowers with my leftover bits! See, this is how my mind works... I get inspired here and there, from all of you, and then go off and create. So, thank you for that!




These are the papers are randomly sprayed a while ago, I can't even remember what for, probably just experimenting. I knew they would come useful for something one day...

I used my flower template to trace and then cut them out. I used two larger and one smaller one for center, then used up the leftover bits to punch out some smaller flowers and some tiny ones too! Everything got used! The darker greener coloured cards got used to die cut my flourishes. Talking about these,...do you have a trick on die cutting intricate die cuts? They don't come out very neat after poking them out... is it the paper or some perhaps use a vellum over the cardstock... what's your trick? How do you get your intriquette die cuts so neat? What's the best paper to use? Please share, if you can. Thank you.
I sponged each and one of them around the edges, shaped them and glued them together....

Now here comes the crazy bit... I had a vision of somehow creating a woodland piece, dark and textured, like a bark with vines etc with new flowers growing out. If I was to name this piece it would be 'new beginnings' or 'there's hope' as it reminds me of the story with the dying tree occupied by a snake so the tree never flowered and when the snake was gone the tree started blooming again... this was the idea. I hope you can see the message behind it. I realised one thing whilst creating this piece... I would absolutely LOVE to have a go at creating some theater props and scenery! It would be such a great fun!

The background was made on a greyboard. I took a thick brown packing paper (thank you Amazon!) and started applying Distress Inks & water drying and scrunching intermittently. I think I used Gathered Twigs, Peeled Paint, Walnut Stain, Barn Door & Rusty Hinge. I did this until my paper was dark enough to resemble a bark/woodland and tore in in two pieces which were adhered to the greyboard with tacky glue over the Liquitex modeling paste that I put on each side and in the middle (exposed areas). I added more modeling paste top, some laces & strips of my white linen trousers (don't worry, I no longer wear them :)), stenciled some vines using the GlitzCraft stencil (Dragonfly).


Once it was all dry I painted it with acrylic paint. I went over the outer edges with the Walnut Stain, Rusty Hinge and Peeled Paint Distress Inks to bring the whole piece together. Sorry, this next photo was taken at night time under a light bulb so not great...


The clock die cut (Tim Holtz) was also covered in modeling paste, colorized using the Barn Door, Peeled Paint & Walnut Stain inks & finished with the crackle paint (Tim Holtz). I adhered this and my flowers to the background using my hot glue gun. I arranged them in a way so that they would look as if all flowers are growing out of the bark from all torn edges etc. I hope you like the effect. Here are some more photos of the finished piece...





I hope you like it! I realise that it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I had great fun making it. It is a product of my imagination and it gets wild sometimes :) The good thing is I used up my scraps!
Feel free to let me know in the comments below. Thank you!

I'd also like to enter this into the following two challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Blog - Emboss It!
That Craft Place - Anything Goes
Anything But a Card - Anything Goes - Open theme

Thank you for stopping by! I will be browsing around your gorgeous blogs later on so will be in touch then and hopefully with a new creation soon ;)

Have a great weekend!

Ingrid xxx

22 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous,love the design and great colours.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Ingrid this is one amazing project, those flowers look so beautiful the colours are magical i really love the bronze effect it show them up perfectly.
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow these are aweome i will send my scraps of papers i havespayed and you can send me the flowers lol. nly joking. Stunning and much cooler here in manchester rain later they keep saying. As for getting them out some just dont like to leave the dies but have you tried rubbing a used dryer sheet or even cutting some baking paper and leaving that in although find they come out with the card. Find the thinner card harder to get out but the thicker needs more times through the big shot

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a stunning creation, lots going on and fab flowers with your dyed papers.....Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow!! this is so cool!! I love your vibrant flowers and the work and thought that went behind that background. Fabulous design!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning. The colours, flowers and textures are fabulous.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This is amazing , the textures and design are fabulous and your flowers are stunning. I love the bright colours.
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ingrid this is just amazing! The flowers are gorgeous, the idea was brilliant, the background is incredible and your post made me laugh! That part about not wearing your ripped up jeans...HA! Thanks for the inspiration and the giggles! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Full of colour and cheer and your creation has cheered me up immensly this morning, thank you...texture and flowers are incredible....you would be amazing with theater props and scenes for sure and also window furnishings in stores...awesome inspiration again.xxx
    ♥aNNieThe Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ingrid. Amazing piece ... LOVE that bark-inspired background and your flowers are so beautiful with the dylusion sprays. I admire that you use all kinds of things in your work. I never even thought of keeping the packing paper and am now sorry that I recycled it to the garbage instead of recycling it onto a mixed media project. I need to change my thinking! :)

    As for the intricate dies. I know what you mean about having a hard time getting them out of the die after cutting. Sometimes I fun the die through with wax paper ... it seems to help release the paper, but unfortunately only lasts for a short time. As for not getting a clean cut, I have cut an emery board in half lengthwise and use it to "sand" down the rough edges. Works pretty well. Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ingrid. This piece is absolutley STUNNING!!!!! I love your background and your gorgeous flowers and your story. Thank you also for showing some of your steps in the construction. I'm glad you had so much fun making your art work... love it. Thank you for playing with us at Anything But A Card. I hope to see more of your art. Cheers, Di

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is gorgeous! I love the vibrant blossoms! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your flowers are not only fantastical, but fantastic too! And so is the whole creation! I also want to congratulate you on your top 3 spot at The Craft Stamper blog, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nearly missed this one Ingrid! Stunning creation again,I do love your use of vibrant colours,you do it so well.

    Yes,can imagine you doing stage props,best theatre play ever then :)

    Will try and remember to email you later re what we talked about earlier

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an wonderful piece Ingrid!! Those stunning flowers look incredible against that bark like background, the whole piece looks amazing, just beautiful!! Love also how you used the Tim Holtz clock!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW... really fun and also VERY BEAUTIFUL... meaning and all... love the uniqueness of the piece too.. love the brightness of the flowers... lovely inspiration. Love , Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ingrid you are on a roll! Another stunning piece. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ingrid, Wonderful piece, love the bright flowers against the textured background.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow and wow again your fantastical flowers are the most brilliant happiness I have seen this morning. I particularly love how you have credited those who inspire you and the texture...the gorgeous crunchy texture you have surrounded your flowers with.
    Yes your fantastic flowers do it for me...thank you for linking up to Anything But A Card this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! this is a masterpiece!!! beautiful :) thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Talk about dramatic! This is fantastic Ingrid. Loving those bright and bold flowers. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.