Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Freedom of Creativity



Hey Lovelies!

Hope you have had a good start of the week?
I haven't done any art journaling for some time so had a real craving to do so. I have quite a few photos to show you so I'm going to try to keep the 'talking' to minimum (ouch!:) and get right to the subject.

The Mixed Media Place has a new challenge - Summer Music, Volume 1: 'Freedom' - and Simon Says Stamp Monday Blog challenge is 'J is for...' in my case 'journaling' and my artwork was created with these two challenges in mind although there's a message behind my page spread (in my opinion, a whole point of journaling...).


My message to myself and to you all is related to freedom of creativity. The whole idea of expressing yourself through art is to follow your own ideals, not someone else's. Just because there are other artists who create their art in certain way doesn't mean that yours must look the same way. Don't be afraid to be unique. It's good to follow your own ideas in your head and create art that YOU like, not to try to create someone else's art. We all get inspired by others and it's ok to follow a certain style and use the same elements that others do, but sometimes it's good to sway away from that and just make things that make you happy for the sake of it. What really gets me sometimes is this craze about craft trends and supplies or other trends in general... we all say (me inclusive!), "I must have this, I MUST have that!" whilst it is so easy to use what we have and with a little bit of imagination create the most amazing pieces! The same goes for any other form of art or living, be it music, way of dressing yourself, walking, talking... we all get caught up in trends and follow one another's ideas and easily forget who we are and what is our purpose here and that maybe if we weren't so caught up in all this maybe the world would be a better place.
So my very grungy unique page spread represents this freedom of expressing myself as an artist, as a person and what I like. I like grungy, I love texture and I love meaningful art. My pages might not be to everyone's taste, but that's ok. I love it!
I created a dark textured background that looks like a scene from a horror movie, I know. But if you look closer, you will see some light areas, a golden city in the middle representing our presence, where we live, the clock representing time passing by whilst living our lives, the crackled moth as one that overlooks us all and, of course, the very clear message: 'Courage is being yourself everyday in the world that expects you to be someone else...' that pretty much says it all. I hope you see what I'm trying to say here and that despite the heave textured background and dark colours somehow like the journal page spread.

The challenge over at the Mixed Media Place is related to a song 'Freedom' by George Michael. In my opinion and from what I read and hear the song is exactly about him trying to separate from the record company who 'owns' him and him trying to be just creative in his own way. Some say the song is about 'coming out', but he didn't until 10 years later so it would be silly to assume so. So basically, his song is pretty much about what I'm trying to portray here through my journaling, hence entering it into the challenge.

Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below. I would love to read your opinions.
Enough talking and here are photos of what it is I created and will be entering into the two above mentioned challenges....


The two photos above are of the process, I added and removed and added and removed,... as you do when creating... :) Here are the photos of the finished page spread made with acrylic paints, stamping using the Papermania Chronology set, Tim Holtz products, tiny beads, Liquitex Modeling Paste, Distress Inks, strips of linen fabric, burlap strings, masking tape etc... 









 I hope you like it and feel a little bit inspired to JUST CREATE! :)

Thank you for stopping by! Have a great day!

Ingrid xxx

28 comments:

  1. Ingrid this is stunning, so creative and simply gorgeous..xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one creativ lady! This is absolutely gorgeous! Is also love your card with the airbrushing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just gorgeous,love the texture.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The texture is amazing and the colours you have used are beautiful, giving lots of light and shade. The sentiment marries well with your thoughts and the butterfly to finish is just perfect. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pages Ingrid,love the texture. Always stay true to yourself and your artwork, set the trends, don't follow them. Elizabeth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone has already said it all, but it needs to be said again, "stunning creation", simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am once again blown away by your amazing creation! The colours, the texture, the technique...wonderful! The clock and butterfly are the perfect touches. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful creation yet again Ingrid,you do create texture so well. I am not sure if I have a style,I can't see it but there probably is somewhere!

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A stunning piece and it is inspirational just to look closely at all the texture, colours and details you used.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! This is amazing Ingrid. I love the many textures and such interesting detailing. The butterfly is gorgeous and the sentiment is wonderful too.
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! Love the freedom of this spread and the drama of the gold and texture against the bluer tones. The clock and butterfly are also gorgeous. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous creation Ingrid, to my taste for sure...Love the butterfly and clock, adds to the art of it all, you know, and lovely colours used.xx
    ♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous work, Ingrid! The sentiment is a really good one, I like it. Love these colors, so rich and intense. It looks like you've spent many hours creating this page. Have a nice day!
    Hugs,
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! You seriously have taken texture to a whole new level! I absolutely drooled (in a good way) as I looked at all the close-up's. The metallic touches look fantastic and the color palette is unique, yet it makes perfect sense. It's truly a feast for the eyes. I also enjoyed your write-up. I, too, appreciate when art is made to be meaningful and you certainly did that here! Thanks so much for the inspiration and for sharing your skills with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. waooh! amazing textures and beautiful colors !
    it is true that you say "The whole idea of expressing yourself through art is to follow your own ideals"
    thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! Such gorgeous pages! Love all the texture! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your page is wonderful! love the textures and the stamp that you've used is one of my favourite! The golden clock is incredible! thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh fabulous grungy feel, luscious texture, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my! This is just absolutely fantastic! Loving all the textures and the metallic colors! Thank you so much for joining the Mixed Media Place Summer Music challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your words are so true. That's how I think of life.
    Don't copy anyone. Just be yourself there are allot
    of other people. I love this piece of your work. Love reading
    the way you think. You are so open. Thanks for your inspirations Anneke.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what you have done. A wonderful, unique piece of expressive art. Beautiful textures, colours and symbolic imagery. So happy you played along with our challenge at Mixed Media Place this month.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just great!! love all the texture and the colors!!! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such an amazing mixed media spread. Love the yummy texture and extremely brilliant design. A work of art that deserve a win at Mixed Media Place ~ congratulations Ingrid. I love your work. Thank you also for visiting my blog and left some love. Am a follower today. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this page Ingrid. The texture and bg - just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So beautiful! Thank you for playing along with us at Mixed Media Place!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.