Thursday, 17 July 2014

Funky Feathers - decorated bag



Hello!

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you are all well?

I made myself a new stencil that I call Funky Feather :) The whole plan was to design and decorate a bag! I simply sketched this feather on a piece of paper that I then layed over my cutting mat and under my acetate sheet and the simply followed the lines (as much as possible, I usually perfect the design as I cut). When my stencil was ready I inserted a larger piece of a cardboard into the bag to protect the back of it, mixed my Artists Acrylic paints with the Decoart Fabric Medium, cut up my new dish sponge into smaller pieces, secured my stencil in place with some masking tape and proceeded to sponge the colours on allowing them to blend to avoid harsh lines. I did the two side feathers first, then washed and flipped the stencil to get a different shape of the feather in the middle. Easy way to achieve variety with your stencils.





When it was dry I touched up any rough edges with my black Sharpie (it wasn't too bad and didn't really need doing, but the perfectionist in me just wouldn't let it go) and added glitter frosting pastes by GlitzCraft in FuchsiaPurple & Aquablue colours over my design and let it dry. I designed this bag from scratch and just like any designer I decided to add my initials in clear rhinestones in the corner and added some to the centers of my feathers. Feel free to get the bid rolling in.. :)





What a lovely summer addition to the wardrobe! White floaty linen trousers, turquoise top, black stripy sandals, hair in an updo, this bag... and I'm off!:) I think this is so easy and such an effective way of giving a bit of style to a boring piece of clothing or an accessory! It's fun too!

I'll be entering this bag into the following challenges:

That Craft Place - Decorate a Bag
Country View Crafts - Stencil It!

I hope you like it and feel a little inspired ;) Have a lovely day!

Ingrid xxx

12 comments:

  1. Clever Ingrid! Absolutely love the stencil,you really are one smart girl :)
    I have ordered myself a stamp carving kit so hopefully will make something nice from that. It's amazing how more confident you get in your art that you want to start making your own stencils and stamps......saves a fortune too!

    As for the YouTube videos Ingrid, if I had a Craftroom I probably would but I only have the kitchen table so no go I am afraid!

    Hope you having a fab day
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely creation Ingrid and wow the stencil is amazing...clever lady.. Your additional beauties and striking colours finish the card of beautifully... I tried to use some stencils to day with my dylusions but they bled underneath so I had to bin my work...what a waste..xxx
    ♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome Ingrid - beautiful stencilling and fab use of colour - thanks for joining us at That Craft Place this fortnight too! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingrid, you've done a fantastic job. The stencil is very nice and the result is great. Congrats on the result!!! Hugs Dafne

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so clever creating your own stencil Ingrid and what a beautiful stencil it is. The colours you have used are beautiful and the end result is fabulous! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Ingrid, I just love your bag, it stunning - those colours are lush and you're so clever to create your own stencil
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Your stencil design is wonderful Ingrid and I LOVE the colours you have used on your bag. Just totally stunning!
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, such a beautiful make over. Your stencils look awesome.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ingrid, here in Poland we name people like you 'human orchestra', which means that this person is multi-talented and can do many things. And so that you are! LOL
    Amazing bag, it looks so fashionable. Have a nice day!
    Hugs,
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Goodness! What a lovely response from you all! You are an awesome bunch! Thank you so much! Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi lovely Ingrid, thanks for your help re the dylusions, I think I was spraying too close hence the bleeding. I do have a large plastic sheet I use but was not spraying far away enough, plus I have found a few you tubes to watch...luv and hugs..have a great day...♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad to hear of others that realize how easy (and fun) it is to make your own stencils. If you get serious about it, I recommend using a plastic paper called "Yupo." It cuts like butter and is very durable so your stencil will last a long time. Your feathers are great and I really admire the color choices you used on this black bag--it's really lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.