Monday, 21 July 2014

Underwater world - mixed media tag



Hello!

I hope you all enjoyed the weekend? We certainly did! It was my partner's birthday so we had a birthday bash for two, well, four, if I count the little ones :) We wanted to spend some time together and as it was going to be rainy we decided to make some pizzas and bits and bobs on Saturday and Tapas and Paella on Sunday.  Well, Greg wanted to cook it all so I let him have fun! It was so delicious! There was no crafting over the weekend though as my kitchen was as if bombs hit it (one of the reasons I don't let Greg in the kitchen too often...) so first thing I did this morning was to pull out a few supplies and got cracking... aah, I have satisfied my urge now, but might play a bit more later on ;)
I have been seeing creations with a sea, holidays and summery themes around the craft blog world and have been craving to create something like that myself. I have a small bag of gorgeous little shells that I found on the beach on our holiday in Long Island, Bahamas, and now they came handy indeed! I wanted to make a tag that would resemble the magic of the underwater world in earth colours and tones. I love nature and this tag was something I really enjoyed making.

I started by cutting my tag out of a piece of a sturdy thin cardboard and peeling some layers off to reveal the corrugated part. I added a bit of Gesso, scrunched up some white tissue paper on top of this in the middle section and added some Liquitex light modeling paste over it to create organic hills and valleys in a floaty kind of way. I added a piece of a white tulle over this area to add interest and let it dry a bit.  A moment later a little bit of the crackle paint in Picket Fence was added. Whilst this was drying I die cut a few branches (Tim Holtz, Shapers & Movers) for my corals, covered them in Gesso, dried, added colour with Peeled Paint, Victorian Velvet, Pumice Stone and Gathered Twigs Distress Inks to both sides and applied my Clear Rock Candy Crackle paint (Tim Holtz). I added these colours to my tag too.


I wanted to add an element of sparkle to create the illusion of sparkly water so added some clear iridescent sequins. I added some stamping with my Prima script stamp in Victorian Velvet and Gathered Twigs for extra texture. In the end I hot glued my shells around my corals and added the Tim Holtz word tag and an anchor embellishment. I managed to burn my little finger with a blob of the hot glue and pull it off my finger with whatever skin there was! Ouch! looook...






Oh, if you wonder why the word tag is a different colour... I used my GB1 Spectrum Noir marker to give it more of a golden look to match the tag and the anchor. The words were lighten up by Gesso after.

I hope you like my sea tag! Feel free to share you thoughts in the comments below. I always like to hear from you.

Challenges entered:
 Simon Says Stamp Monday Blog - 'mid-summer themed'
A Vintage Journey - Dies & Distress
The Artistic Stamper - By the Seaside

Thank you for stopping by! Have a great day!

Ingrid xxx

17 comments:

  1. I would have said that it was too many shells to put on a tag... but I LOVE IT... and the shells are GREAT... not liking the burn though... so sad... hope it heals quickly... gotta get messy ... couldn't live without that... !!! But this tag is really one of the prettiest sea tags I have seen so far this summer... very nice. Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ingrid, ooh sounds like a fun weekend,love the thought of all that delicious food :)

    hot glue guns are lethal,wrecked the skin on my arm with one a few months ago when the glue dripped down what I was holding.

    This tag is a beauty Ingrid,so much work gone into it,really beachy. You are creating some real stunners lately for us all :)

    Hope you are okay and thank you for your continued lovely comments on my blog,they always make me smile

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tag, great textures and additions. Hope you finger isn't too painful today.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Ingrid, this is gorgeous work - beautiful background, wonderful crackling and gorgeous design. I want to reach out and touch it. Sorry to hear that you burned your finger though - all in the aid of art..... Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Ingrid! Your tag is gorgeous! Love the underwater sea scene that you created! Hope your finger feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aNNie kiss your finger better lol...ouch!! Apart from that you have one 'smashing' creation...it is just gorgeous. You are just tooo clever...xxx
    ♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your finger looks painful! Ouch! Hope it will be better soon. But how absolutely wonderful is your underwater creation, I adore it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. B.t.w. I have pinned this beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch, that's gotta hurt! But it was worth it, this tag is amazing! It looks like you've been making it all day, so many details! Lovely work!
    Have a nice, sunny day!
    Hugs,
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous texture on the background and the layout and design is perfect....I could almost smell the sea shore. Thank you for sharing with us at AVJ this fortnight
    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! How could I not love this with all that texture!, wonderful Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous layering and mix of elements. I'm always in awe of your mixed media creations Ingrid - truly inspiring. I have tulle sitting on a shelf that's been not used for years ... now I know what to do with it! :) Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow love the way you have done your back ground what an amazing tag. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is screaming texture and gorgeousness! Well you may have screamed a little judging from that nasty burn! Love this tag and your underwater collection. Thank you for sharing all this beauty with us at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is sucha lovely tag Ingrid. The textures and the crackle effect give a nice grungy look!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning work!!! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.