Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Va va voom mixed media style



Hello!

I promised to be back and here I am! I have something to show you of course, but before I do I'd like to welcome my new lovely crafty followers. Thank you for joining my blog! I get very excited when someone new joins in. It makes me work harder :)

What a lovely day it was today. The sun was shinning, the children played nicely and there were no bumps (My 9 month old not only started crawling recently, but three days later started standing up and another three days later was tracing around our furniture and is now in full speed so I am constantly anxious what she's going to bump into. She also put everything in a mouth right now so drives me crazy as my three year old likes to play with the tiny toys now and tends to leave them around. I do dream of getting some rest one day... ). Because they were playing so nicely I got to watch them and craft..whooohooo... and here's what I got up to...



I started with embossing a whole piece of a white card using my Damask (Cuttlebug) folder. I painted this in black paint and went over the raised areas with a silver one. You just need to dab into paint, dab some off on your craft sheet and then hold it flat going over the bumps. This will create the pewter effect. Not so long ago I made myself a flower guide out of a cereal box. I drew a circle around a masking tape roll, divided this into 6 sections, drew a petal in each and cut it out. Now I use it to trace around it. So this is what I used to make my flowers and put it together with my hot glue. I have a picture collage for you to show exactly what I did. You need 7 of these flowers to put together 2 dimensional ones. You cut off 1 petal of the first one, two of the second one and so on until you have 2 sets of 6 pieces. Shape them, hot glue them, abuse them a little...as you do... I used a couple of black feathers from my black boa (that's how I walk around the house... ) and added them to my flower for more drama!
The background piece is just a watercolour 300gsm paper swooshed around a gorgeous puddle of Distress Inks in Picked Raspberry & Mustard Seed colours. I added some stamping using my Prima 'Book' stamp and the Picked Raspberry ink. It looked busy enough so I left it at that.
Then I went ahead and embossed a piece of an acetate sheet using the same folder and swiped my black Stazon over the bumps. Nice, eh?! I cut it into a banner and stapled on top of the front panel that I also resized a bit. I also used the black die cut on the left (Metalworks, Cuttlebug) and added a sentiment. The bottom corners were rounded too. I took the same black cardstock and sliced very thin long pieces that I curled around a hot glue stick. These were added to the bottom of my flower and the flower was hot glued to the card. And here's the finished piece...





What do you think? I hope you like the dramatic look?:)
I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp Monday Blog  - start from scratch (the lot is made from scratch, but mainly showcasing the flower, I hope Anna-Karin likes it ;)
Fashionable Stamping Challenges - Flowers #76
Mixed Media Card Challenge Blog - Touch of Nature

Thank you for stopping by! All the best,

Ingrid xxx

19 comments:

  1. Wow Ingrid this is awesome what a beautifully created flower, love how you show how to make it, the finished effect is amazing.
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingrid,you are a star! I love the colour contrast on this,it's so striking. I really think you will win a prize for this one :)

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeously dramatic, love the contrast, a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning work Ingrid - this is gorgeous - I'm amazed you were able to do this whilst your children were there too - wow - supermum! Hugs Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Va va voom - no kidding! Drama, baby, drama. What an embellishment. And what a vivid BG. Thanks so much for sharing at MMCC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! this is gorgeous Ingrid. Your pewter effect flowers are stunning and I love the coloured background.
    Hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. and yet another stunner! love your cards! this one is gorgeous with the bright colours and the black in contrast! thanks for joining in with us with so many beautiful cards!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the silver on the black flower! Looks great against the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE! This card looks like it's heading to a glamorous and glitzy party! :) Love the dramatic effect of your silver and black flower - stunning. And your watercolored background is gorgeous. The curled, thin strips add so much flair (along with the feathers). Awesome card! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very dramatic - I agree with Loll's comment - but It makes me think of going to the Races! I love the black/pewter rose and the idea of embossing the acetate and then swiping it with ink -clever! The curly bits are a perfect finish! So glad you joined us at MMCC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, elegant and dramatic creation, lovely flower and just love what you have made, colours are brilliant.xxx
    ♥aNNie

    The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ingrid, Stunning flower, looks fabulous against that background.
    Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, very dramatic and very beautiful too. I love the gorgeous background you created to present your flower on. It does sound like you have your hands full, but it is good that you can still keep up with your crafting! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A gorgeous project, the flower looks beautiful against the lovely background you created. thank you for joining us at FSC this time.
    Yvonne/Meggymay

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful!!! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh.. the flower is gorgeous! Love your beautiful creation! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunner! I like the bright BG against this big embellishment :) thank you for sharing with MMCC !

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! Love your flower! So creative and beautiful!
    Thanks for playing with us at MMCC. Hope to see you with us again in August!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing! I LOVE that handmade flower -- and it's great to see/read how you made it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.