Wednesday, 13 August 2014
Altered rustic jar
I hope you are well and crafting your way through the week!
I have something to show you today and I will try to keep it short (impossible with me, I know, but I will do my best.. ). I had a friend with his girlfriend visiting all the way from France and they brought some goodies, one of which was this wonderful French rustic jar full of yummy wild boar pâté. I really love the scruffiness and aged look of the large jar and just had to keep it. I decided to upcycle it! My other half was least impressed with the idea as he loved it as it was, but I claimed it as mine and therefore could do as I wished with it. Nothing's sacred in this house when it comes to my artistic explorations, I tell you that! :)
I thought it would be perfect for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge (Scratched up!) and I was making it with the A Vintage Journey's current challenge 'Time Flies'. I really wanted to join this challenge as I love and use Tim Holtz products and methods all the time, but couldn't think of how I would interpret the flying time. I have created other artworks with flying clocks and simply didn't want to do it again. Then it hit me,... I bought 25g of clock pieces on ebay, stamped my jumbo butterfly by Stampendous onto a card decoupaged with a pattern paper (Vintage collection by Joy Crafts), distressed it with inks and used my E6000 to glue my clock pieces onto the butterfly. Ta daaah! There you have it... time flies!! :)
The doily, the ribbon and the gauze were stained using the Rusty Hunge, Gathered Twigs, Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain Distress Inks by Tim Holtz.
The flowers were die cut from the same vintage paper distressed with the Walnut Stain and some Rusty Hinge inks and put together.
The clock was stamped using one of the Tim Holtz clear stamps using my black Stazon and distressed using the same inks, mostly Walnut Stain.
You will probably wonder what the spiral thingy is... that nearly gave me a heart attack! It was inside one of the clock pieces and as I was poking at it, it just sprang out and gave me a fright! I thought it would look good and give my masterpiece a bit of drama :)
I arranged everything onto my lid as I liked it and glued it together. I also cut one of the vintage papers in half and put it inside my jar so my trinkets do not fight with the vintage look of it. It can be taken out, if needed. I tried to capture the real thing and I hope it shows...
I would also like to enter this vintage/steampunk looking piece into the following challenges:
STAMPlorations - Stamps & Die cuts (butterfly + flower die)
The Artistic Stamper - Anything Goes
I hope you like this craziness. I certainly do... I'm yet to find out what my other half thinks ;) hehe....
It is thanks to my friend Donna who inspired me to try Steampunk. I'm still not entirely sure whether this followed the rules, but I tried. I'll have a go on something more industrial looking, I promise, Donna! :)
Thank you for stopping by! Have a fab day! I am off to the hospital for my pre-op check tomorrow morning so won't be posting anything, but I will be visiting your lovely blogs hopefully in the afternoon. I look forward to reading your comments ;)