Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Altered rustic jar



Hello!

I hope you are well and crafting your way through the week!

I have something to show you today and I will try to keep it short (impossible with me, I know, but I will do my best.. ). I had a friend with his girlfriend visiting all the way from France and they brought some goodies, one of which was this wonderful French rustic jar full of yummy wild boar pâté. I really love the scruffiness and aged look of the large jar and just had to keep it. I decided to upcycle it! My other half was least impressed with the idea as he loved it as it was, but I claimed it as mine and therefore could do as I wished with it. Nothing's sacred in this house when it comes to my artistic explorations, I tell you that! :)


I thought it would be perfect for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge (Scratched up!) and I was making it with the A Vintage Journey's current challenge 'Time Flies'. I really wanted to join this challenge as I love and use Tim Holtz products and methods all the time, but couldn't think of how I would interpret the flying time. I have created other artworks with flying clocks and simply didn't want to do it again. Then it hit me,... I bought 25g of clock pieces on ebay, stamped my jumbo butterfly by Stampendous onto a card decoupaged with a pattern paper (Vintage collection by Joy Crafts), distressed it with inks and used my E6000 to glue my clock pieces onto the butterfly. Ta daaah! There you have it... time flies!! :)


The doily, the ribbon and the gauze were stained using the Rusty Hunge, Gathered Twigs, Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain Distress Inks by Tim Holtz.
The flowers were die cut from the same vintage paper distressed with the Walnut Stain and some Rusty Hinge inks and put together.
The clock was stamped using one of the Tim Holtz clear stamps using my black Stazon and distressed using the same inks, mostly Walnut Stain.
You will probably wonder what the spiral thingy is... that nearly gave me a heart attack! It was inside one of the clock pieces and as I was poking at it, it just sprang out and gave me a fright! I thought it would look good and give my masterpiece a bit of drama :)
I arranged everything onto my lid as I liked it and glued it together. I also cut one of the vintage papers in half and put it inside my jar so my trinkets do not fight with the vintage look of it. It can be taken out, if needed. I tried to capture the real thing and I hope it shows...








I would also like to enter this vintage/steampunk looking piece into the following challenges:
STAMPlorations - Stamps & Die cuts (butterfly + flower die)
The Artistic Stamper - Anything Goes

I hope you like this craziness. I certainly do... I'm yet to find out what my other half thinks ;) hehe....

It is thanks to my friend Donna who inspired me to try Steampunk. I'm still not entirely sure whether this followed the rules, but I tried. I'll have a go on something more industrial looking, I promise, Donna! :)

Thank you for stopping by! Have a fab day! I am off to the hospital for my pre-op check tomorrow morning so won't be posting anything, but I will be visiting your lovely blogs hopefully in the afternoon. I look forward to reading your comments ;)

Ingrid xxx

25 comments:

  1. You have transformed the jar beautifully Ingrid, I love the time theme with the butterfly and that coiled piece really does give the piece some drama. Love, love your colour choices too! Thanks so much for joining in our challenge over at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW you could do it Ingrid!!! Love it,love it,love it,wonderful creation. That reminds me,I have got a load of watch pieces somewhere when I first started my steampunk phase,must dig them out for a play after you have reminded me :)

    Fingers crossed this is a winner....and you do more of the same. See,told you it was fun,next....babies with wings!!

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Ingrid, this must have taken forever to put together! I am so in love with the colours and that butterfly is completely dreamy!! What a beautiful transformation this jar has made...just like a butterfly does! So stunning and creative! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Ingrid, that butterfly looks amazing. The whole thing looks distinctive, elegant and rustic to me, love it. Nikki xx ps and thanks for sharing with us at A vintage Journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous creation Ingrid, I just love the colours, so yummy, clever transformation! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what an excellent masterly altering ... I am impressed Ingrid...AMAZING project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The butterfly and project look stunning, a wonderful alteration.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. stunning work Ingrid - really fabulous - that butterfly is awesome xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what fun you must have had with the making of this... it is quite elegant and lovely... BUT the real beauty is the love that jumps out of it... a fun project for sure... as it shows. Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning altered jar Ingrid. Wonderful looking butterfly with the clock pieces, and then adding those roses gives a lovely vintage feel to it.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, that is just exquisite. Beautiful project! Thanks so much for playing along at STAMPlorations xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your jar is such a stunning creation! What an imagination you have! Love the butterfly, but all the details are wonderful, including that springy thingy:).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful project Ingrid! Love the gorgeous butterfly and fancy blossoms! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your creation catched my eyes! Especially I love your steampunk butterfly, but every little detail in your work is stunning! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon SAys Stamp Monday challenge blog! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so gorgeous!! Love all the details and the colours. The clock pieces are fantastic, what a find! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ingrid your altered jar is amazing! I love all the wonderful details you have managed to fit in and your colour combinations are fabulous. Thank you for sharing you wonderful piece with us at A Vintage Journey for our Time Flies challenge. Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous alteration Ingrid and what a great idea to add the clock pieces to the butterfly......looks stunning
    It's lovely to have you join us at A Vintage Journey this fortnight
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful Ingrid, what a wonderful interpretation, I love the creativity in your jar! Delighted you joined in with our 'Time flies' challenge at A Vintage Journey. Chris xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Thank you for joining in The Artistic Stamper Creative Team challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your pinworthy at vintage journey....so well deserved, loved it when I first saw it, so beautiful. Ruth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ingrid, you rocked this one! Congratulations on being a "Pinworthy" winner! Your tops in my book, and quite an inspiration to me. Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is exquisite, Ingrid! I love all the detail, and the fact that you can take out the paper. I laughed at the clock spring too :) Thanks so much for joining us at STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing jar! Such a great idea. Every element on here is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.