Friday, 22 August 2014

Dragonfly



Hello!

How are you all? I'd like to welcome my new lovely followers! So nice to have you nearby! Feel free to get in touch!
My dear blog buddies, I know I have been a bit quiet in the last few days, I will be visiting your blogs soon! I have been super-busy here at home and also made a Christmas card that I can't really show you so... here I am a few days later with an A5 size artwork using my little technique and Tim Holtz's gorgeous dragonfly die that my blog buddy and a friend Donna kindly sent me to try out before I go ahead and buy the die. OMG! I'm in love with the dragonfly die cut! So pretty!


I tool a few photos for you so I'm going to try and keep my blabber as short as possible :) But before I show you any photos I'd like you to imagine that you are floating above a swamp or a lake at night with full moon... the lake is sparkly, the fern is reaching over the lake from the sides, dragonflies flying over it in speed... see where I'm going with this? Well, this was the vision in my head before I started working on this piece and here I am ready to show you...

I started with a greyboard that was covered in my bubblegum pink mess the other day. I pulled the whole collage off with the pink mess and collaged heaps of papers over it again. I mixed my white Gesso with some clear embossing powder until it was like a paste. I spread this unevenly over this collage to create more texture. I used the leftover paper that I die cut my large fern from as a stencil with this mixture and stenciled some ferns around the edges, mostly to the bottom part though. Here comes my little technique. As you know, clear embossing powder will create emboss resist if you heat it and apply any water-based medium over it. I heated the heck out of the surface until I saw the powder within the Gesso melting and bubbling a little. I left this to dry over night.


This morning, I started with Dylusions and ended up using my Cosmic Shimmer iridescent watercolour paint until I was happy with the saturation. You can see how gorgeously shimmery the surface is in the sun... This was the start of my shimmery lake!


I sponged the edges and a little bit over the whole surface with the Walnut Stain Distress Ink and then a little bit darkened the edges and the ferns with black Stazon.
I added my ink dyed fern leaves and my die cut flowers (Cart-us) and worked on my dragonfly.

The dragonfly was covered in white Gesso at first, then coloured with the gorgeous Cosmic Shimmer paints...



I went over the Dragonfly with the Walnut Stain and covered it in Clear Rock Candy Crackle paint by Tim Holtz. This turned the walnut stain ink into green and when the crackle paint crackled up it revealed the gorgeous shimmery paints underneath! Oooh, how pretty is that?!



Now, here's the finished artwork. Notice how I created additional texture and created difference in colours added to the surface using this unique emboss resist technique. I love the way it looks and I will be using this gesso/clear embossing powder mix again and yes, I will heat the heck out of it :)







I hope you like my little artwork. Feel free to leave a comment, I'd love to read what you think. I would also like to enter this into the following challenges:
The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - Stencils & Pastes
Lawnscaping Challenge - Texture (Texture, you say...?;))
Pan Pastel UK  - Bold & Bright (I hope this qualifies...)

Thank you for stopping by!
Hugs,
Ingrid xxx


38 comments:

  1. Ingrid,you girl are amazing!!! I think this is my favourite creation of yours,the colours are mind blowing,can I borrow your creative brain cells?! I am speechless seriously, I looooooovvvvvveeeee it,WOW

    Triple hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisitively beautiful Ingrid, loving the colours and your creative mind. xx
    ♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Ingrid... this is outstanding!!!!! I LOVE the background... and then the over layment... and this DRAGONFLY... I guess I am going to have to buy it too... it is wonderful looking... I love all that you have created here... it is really OUTSTANDING... elegant and wonderfully magical. Love it all... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic piece, no wonder you were busy! Love the texture. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Ingrid. Might have to try your technique!p, looks really good. Isn't that dragonfly gorgeous! I have just purchased the butterlfy, but not played yet. Good grief I can't type this morning! Having a distinct lack of ideas over the last 2 days, so thanks for great inspiration. Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever work again Ingrid, so creative..love it..xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, loving all the texture Ingrid!
    So happy you joined us over at Pan Pastel UK xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow ingrid this is truely amazing. such a fantastic make. this die is on my wishlist along with the bee. they're amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow stunning,love the colours and fab texture.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just about the most beautiful project I've ever seen! I cannot believe how gorgeous that background is! That dragonfly is beyond stunning, I'm not sure I understand HOW you get these amazing textures, even though you explained it! All those ferns, I feel like I'm in Jurassic Park!! WOW, just mind blowing Ingrid! Big crafty well done hugs to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is simply GORGEOUS Ingrid..I love love love all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning ... I love the texture your created ... so very beautiful with those shimmers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your background is amazing Ingrid ... definitely looks like a pond - love the fern fronds and shimmer of the water. The dragonfly is gorgeous! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ingrid and what an amazing piece of artwork this is - I too have looked at the dragonfly but not bought it as yet - love the colour and all the texture and the shimmer is OMG gorgeous x Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a gorgeous textural piece and the colours are stunning, love this and that die is definitely on my wish list! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning project with amazing layers and textures. Loving your dragonfly (it is on my wishlist along with the bee and the butterfly) the colours and crackle are sensational:-) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fairytale work of art, it's gorgeous Ingrid!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic textures, love the dragon fly .
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic creation, love the effect gained on the dragon fly, amazing.
    Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ingrid, this is a stunning piece, love the shimmery colours, and the gorgeous finish on the dragonfly.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ingrid, wow what a beautiful project, I love all the texture and you've used my favourite colours. The dragonfly is stunning, you've really captured the iridescence perfectly. Hope you're having a good weekend
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is just gorgeous! i especially love that dragonfly! really pretty. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This project is gorgeous. Love all the colors and texture and dimension. Thanks so much for playing at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous is right! Love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is just stunning, what a gorgeous card. Thanks for playing the Lawnscaping challenge

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great Ingrid, love every detail. Thanks for sharing this great project with us.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow. The details on this are stunning!! I LOVE how that dragonfly turned out. Looks just like the dragonflies that used to fly around my house as a child. What a lovely, lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  28. woooooooooooooow! the colors - STUNNING!!!! that dragon fly took my breath away! and the texture...incredible!!!!
    thanks so much for joining us at the lawnscaping challenge! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is just gorgeous!! I love all the texture you used, especially the crackle. I have some but rarely ever remember to use it! I will have to do so, you gave me such great inspiration! Thanks for playing along in the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! awesome stuff all over. From that fab dragonfly to the great background!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so pretty, the effect is amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello
    I am visiting from the lovely Marjie's blog.
    This is so beautiful, the colour palette and the beautiful dragonfly as the focal on your panel.
    Wishes
    Lynne
    A new Follower.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I own that dragonfly die and never used it - until now since I want to copy your gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow!! Saw this over on Marjie's blog and was blown away. Love the idea of gesso and embossing powder. I must try that!!! Stunning dragonfly treatment. Fantastic make -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Ingrid, I came via Marjie and boy was she right to send me here. This is gorgeous, love the colours, the texture....love it all !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, Ingrid! Marjie Kemper sent me over and I am delighted that she did! I am usually a "word" person, which means including sentiments or quotes in my artwork. However, in the case of this piece, I will definitely make an exception! It needs no words. The imagery, the color and the texture together speak volumes! You are a true artist!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just can't stop staring at it. I love all the texture and the colors are gorgeous. I am going to try my hand at the gesso/embossing powder mix.

    ReplyDelete
  38. magnifique, j adore! merci pour le tuto

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.