Tuesday, 26 August 2014

'Home' MDF Stencil Kit #2

Dear friends, blog buddies and visitors!

You are about to see photos and read about how not to create and hopefully along the way learn a few tips and techniques as well as see how you can use the wonderful GlitzCraft MDF kits with their gorgeous stencils and glitter pastes. You can find the previous similar posts HERE. Before I start explaining what I have done I'd like to point out that my failings have nothing to do with the products, they were purely down to my processes. The GlitzCraft products are just wonderful! 

I would also like to say a big thank you to my lovely and talented crafty friend Pamellia for designing a gorgeous signature for my photos. THANK YOU!! Love it! xxx

Here goes the story of 'how not to create'... :)
I started with a lovely MDF word... 


TAKE #1 
I decided to paint with my white Gesso to cover the dark areas. The idea was to wrap the entire word in a white acrylic wool, stencil my Silver Glitter Frosting Paste all over the word shape and add some white crochet flowers with silver frosting paste in the centers. It would have looked so pretty and cozy... perfect for home, I thought! It would have been a little different too. So I started and got to the second letter when I started hating it as it looked much better in my head than in front of me! I took it all off, sanded down the damaged gesso and repainted it. Sorry, I didn't take a photo at this point. 

TAKE #2
This time the 'bright' idea was to decoupage the whole word in my aged dictionary pages. I didn't even get to the second letter when I realised it was going to look bad as the pages were too thick for this project. I took it all off, sanded down and repainted it in Gesso. 

TAKE #3 
I had a better 'bright' spark here and decoupaged the whole word in my handmade tissue paper (a white tissue stamped using various stamps using my black Stazon). It looked good I thought so went with it... 



I also sponged it a little with my Walnut Stain Distress Ink and then debated with myself whether to use the Black Glitter Paste or the Sand Glitter Paste and decided to to go for the sand coloured one for a more subtle look... 


I didn't like it so thought maybe a bit more sponging to darken the background would bring up the shine of the glitter... well, it just didn't look right as the background was too busy. I should have gone for the black one. This could have been easy to scrape and the paste re-applied over the design, but not me! I scraped everything off and painted the whole thing with my white Gesso!!!

TAKE #4
So now I had this white word, more bumpy than when I started due to the decoupaging and thought I needed to come up with something that would cover it up, something more textured. During this process I had to constantly think that I needed to finish off with the stenciled glittery design. Not so long ago I wrote a post about creating a faux peeled/old door effect with acrylics, you can read more about it HERE. So I thought I'd try crating this and use a silver paste on top. Off I went and plastered the thing in bright red and light blue acrylics and used the technique described in the above mentioned post. OMG!!! The tape ripped off the whole layer revealing not my white gesso-ed surface, but the decoupaged design!!!! At this point I was pulling my hair out knowing I had to re-do it again! Here's what the blooming thing looked like... 



Don't laugh! I can hear you... and wipe those tears, please... :)

At this point and after all those hours standing by my kitchen counter trying to decorate ONE SIMPLE MDF WORD SHAPE I just cleaned it all off, sanded it down and left it. This morning I thought to myself.. why on earth are you over-thinking it so much... just do something simple. Something that anyone, even a non-crafty person can do! I'm a colonel's daughter and there's no giving up! Something simple yet effective I thought...  

TAKE #5
I painted the whole word in two or three coats of Gesso, again, mixed up some bright pink, light blue and bright purple Artists Acrylics with a bit of water and created a marble effect similar to my Tie Dye Technique, sanded down the edges to reveal the white gesso a bit... 







.... and added the gorgeous silver glitter paste through the included stencil. That was it! Done! Isn't it pretty? Why oh why didn't I do it in the first place... it is colourful and artsy with a bit of a sparkle.. 

I do hope you like it... please don't even joke about the decoupaged one as I will be bald by the end of the day... :) 
The moral of this story is... DO NOT OVER-THINK IT! Just come up with a simple idea and go with the flow. If something doesn't work out leave it for a while and come back to it later once you got over your panic attack! :) Do you have any craft horror stories? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one and I'm pretty sure this is not my last mess up. I'd love to hear yours, if you have one, so feel free to leave me a comment. Thank you for stopping by! 

Have a great day! 

Ingrid xxx 

7 comments:

  1. Wow you are brave Ingrid,all my mistakes usually go straight in the bin!! I love this,really vibrant colours,it turned out beautifully in the end
    Thank you for being brave and showing when things go wrong!

    Love Pamellias artistic work too,that girl is a star too :)

    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, appreciate your commitment and never give up attitude, it actually paid off here! The end result is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would never know if you hadn't told us, but guess we have all been there! Pretty in the end though.love the marbled gesso xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is awesome Ingrid, love the steps you have shown on how you produce the finished article, it looks brilliant. Congratulations on your wins
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous project Ingrid. Thanks for visiting and following my blog - I'm happy to return the visit

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your persistence really paid off in the end because this is so gorgeous Ingrid! I really love the colours and that glitter is so eye catching! These kits look amazing, hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you showed us all the different incarnations of your home word, a good finish with an amazing look. Glad you persisted it happens to us all lol :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.