Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Whimsical Frida Kahlo



Good morning!

Hello to all my lovely blog buddies and warm welcome to my new followers. It's so lovely to share my creations with you and be over at your blog by the click of a button!

I have something a little bit different for you. I've been recently introduced to the ART JOURNAL JOURNEY blog by Susi, my blog buddy and an amazing artist and art journaler! If you are not familiar with her work then hop over to her blog, because you'll be in for a real treat!  So, thank you, Susi!

The Art Journal Journey blog has monthly challenges for art journalers, painters, artists and this month's theme is 'Frida Kahlo'. How could I resist? If you aren't sure who Frida was then hop over to the challenge blog where you will find a little bit about this wonderful artist.


I wanted to do something a little bit different or shall I say...use a different medium to create my art journal page spread. I chose to do the entire piece in oil pastels. I used the Crafters Workshop and my own handmade stencils (Mini Mums & my Funky Feather). You just scribble over the stencil with your soft pastel and then go over the motif with your finger to work the colour in. That was a great fun! I don't know how much experience you have with oil pastels, but I can say that I certainly am not a pro so this wasn't the easiest thing for me and was more about exploring the medium. I had fun with it and tried something different so it's a good thing, I guess. You know how much I love creating whimsical faces so I decided to create a whimsy Frida...





I hope that Frida would approve if she saw the whimsical version of herself. She painted herself a lot. I admire anyone who can paint themselves. I am of the opinion that everyone's own perception differs and as a result of that the true vision of ourselves might be clouded to some extent. For example, you look in a mirror and see your face. Then you take a photo of yourself and suddenly you think.. oooh, do I really look like this? Some people hate themselves in photographs and they will also tell you that they do. Is it because they see themselves differently to what they really look like? This is the point I'm trying to make. I never tried painting or drawing myself, but I never say never...

Other challenges I'd like to enter this into:
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Blog - Anything Goes
Craft My Life - Anything but a Card

Feel free to share your thoughts on my whimsical Frida in the comment section below. I'll look forward to reading them.

Thank you for stopping by!

Have a great day!
Ingrid xx

24 comments:

  1. Ingrid.....I want this picture! Wow,absolutely fab,I love it,it's super cute and colourful. Must try these oil pastels if you can create something as beautiful as that from them :) I think this is one of your best,seriously impressed

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful portrait of Frida! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Frida is popping up everywhere...love this.xxx♥aNNie The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning work Ingrid - I love the stunning background and the image is amazing - brilliant work! love it! you are so very talented! Big Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your version of Frida, such a fab page. Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic version, its a fab page and beautiful painting of Frida.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Frida portrait looks just fabulous...perfect with the colorful background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow this spread is so utterly beautiful.. I love all about it!
    The face is amazing!
    And what great technique to use the oilpastels through a stencil.. that's something I haven't tried yet!
    I am so pleased about your nice praise about me! ♥♥♥
    I am delighted to welcome you to our Art Journal Journey tour group!
    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a brilliant job with the oil pastels Ingrid, I don't know Frida but your painting of her is beautiful and the colours you have used are wonderful! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. THE COLORS! MAGNIFICENT... love the entire spread of pages... royally delightful... Frida would have LOVED it too... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just stunning Ingrid! I can't believe you did this by hand! the colours, the intricate design, it should be hanging in a gallery somewhere! I'm blown away by your endless talents! Many hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, gorgeous! So glad you played along with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Ingrid!!!! This is so pretty! I could have one of those on my wall! You are a true artist!

    Hugs Nick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Frida page and a lovely colourful background.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely beautiful, you are so talented! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...this is stunning Ingrid!... Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome page! Beautiful eyes!
    Cheers
    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your journal spread! She looks amazing in oil pastels and the colors are so vibrant!! I love Frida's work and I'll have to check this challenge out. Awesome job Ingrid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Frida pages are beautiful and so colorful.
    I like your original take on her portrait too!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a lovely creation, your joy at making it comes through in your post. Thank you for sharing Frida with us at All Crafts Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a lovely journal spread ~ your Frida is so vibrant, like the flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful background and colours with a very nice Frida on it. You have your own special style to draw. I like it!
    Dear Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not familiar with this artist so will certainly hope over to the challenge and read up . I love your journal page. Thankyou for showing us at Craft My Life. Hugs Mrs A. (D.T.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like this so much, it is just the kind of art I like, beautiful colours and lovely designs and with the wonderful focal point of Frida. You have controlled the oil pastels so well here, that's a very clever technique using them over a stencil.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.