Friday, 12 September 2014

Butterfly card with brusho & something special...

Hello!

Today is a special day for me as today is all about my family. Not only that today was my due date last year (yes, my little one will be 1 this month! No, she did not make an appearance on that day...), but also today would have been my dear angel Grandma's birthday so I will be lighting a candle in her memory today. I miss her dearly, she was an angel on earth and now is an angel in Heavens.
I would also like to mention one more, very important person in my life and that is my dear Mum! And as we are having such a nice round up here I'd like to show you how beautifully talented my Mummy is. She loves crafting with Pergamano and makes the most amazing projects. From cards, to envelopes and tiny gift boxes... they are just amazing. Yesterday she sent me a bunch of photos taken with her phone and I asked if I could share them. The photos are not great but they will give you a good idea of what she does... so here they are, the tiny gift boxes she just made...











Aren't they just wonderful?

As per the title of this post I also promised you a card made with the Brusho crystals... I have been experimenting with them, made swatches and made two cards, well, three if I count my Speed Craft Challenge card in.

If you are, like me, new to this wonderful medium then you will find that there are only a few videos on the Brushos on youtube that actually give you somewhat insight of what they are all about, but not exactly how to start or some practical advice. So before I proceed to show you my card I'd like to make a few comments regarding my observations.

Here you can see my rough colour swatches...


... and a first few backgrounds I made the moment I got my hands on them...


1. don't open the seal or the lid, just poke a hole with a metal skewer or some sort of poking tool in the middle of the lid insead otherwise your risk your partner will be getting rainbow sandwiches if you, like me, have to craft on your kitchen counter. (Donna, you're so funny! :))

2. cover your entire work surface with a large plastic sheet to protect it. The specs of crystals are so tiny they get everywhere.

3. spray over the sprinkled Brusho with water from a high up 15 - 20cm to prevent the colour bouncing off of the card with the pressure of the water, you will minimise the mess....guess how I know?!

4. you can wet your cardstock or your watercolour paper first, then sprinkle and see the magic happen. Use more water for more coverage and blending, less water for more grungy speckled effect

5. you can sprinkle over your drawn design, spray water
6. you can use water to remove some of the colour afterwards.
7. you can use very diluted bleach for bleaching effect
8. you can stamp with Brushos, use them as normal watercolour if diluted with water on your palette, colour your modeling paste with them or even thicken them with a thickener and much more
9. once you have created your background and feel it is too blended, sprinkle some Brusho over your background and lightly spray some water on top which will give you the speckled effect instantly.
10. you must learn to leg of of perfection and let the magic just happen

Here is my Butterfly card I created using the lemon, yellow, orange, scarlet, brilliant red, purple & dark brown crystals...



The background is one of the above. I stamped the Jumbo Butterfly by Stampendous on top of my dry background, went over the entire butterfly with a wet brush and sprinkled the purple and a tiny bit of the brown on top of the wet area. When dry I went over some areas of the butterfly with a wet brush and removed the colour with a tissue paper. This created some highlights. I also flicked the brush below and above the butterfly to remove some colour from the background. I felt it needed more purple on the background so I flicked my wet brush under the butterfly which made tiny spec of water, sprinkled some purple over this area and dried it... the colour only appeared on the wet areas, the rest somehow disappeared. If you sprinkle using the tiny hole in your cap you have more control over it I guess. The sentiment is by Tim Holtz.

I made one more card that I will post later on today separately as this post is long enough... :) Sorry, just thought I had to share it all...

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:
City Crafter Challenge Blog - Butterflies
The Artistic Stamper - Autumn colours
Stamping Sensations - Things with wings
Simon Says Stamp Wed Blog - Create your own background

Thank you for your visit! It would be nice if you could pop back to see the other card I made with the green background above. All the best!

Ingrid xxx

28 comments:

  1. Ha ha named and shamed Ingrid ;)
    Wow,this card really is stunningly beautiful and you are always so generous in your picture taking and instructions....for complete arty numpties like me that is!

    Well I can see where you get your crafty talents from,your mums boxes are stunning,so delicate.

    Love the idea of the lighted candle for your grandma,really thoughtful touch

    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Your Mom is super talented! Now I know where you get it from! My Mom does Pergamano too, I have never had the patience for it...way too delicate of an art for me! Love your butterfly card, this products looks just amazing, have to see if I can track it down! big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRAVO, BRAVO, Ingrid! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Create Your Own Background Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your mom has done some amazing stuff! Is that parchment paper? Your daughter should be inheriting this talent too! Your card is bold and beautiful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very effective card. Love how you have added colour to the butterfky xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous work there. Thanks for sharing with us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful creation, love he colours, and the things your Mum has made are fantastic! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not heard of this medium Ingrid, but it looks so effective and vibrantly clear. The butterfly suits your background so well. Loved your mums Pergamano, my mum also does this craft and I have a few stunning pieces around my house she has made me. I'm sure my mum would love to contact your mum for some parchment chat as she doesn't have a blog. Email me if she would like too and I can pass on her email to you. And I am also a new follower and can't wait to see what you make next.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ingrid!! I love your background colors. Your butterfly is pretty as well. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning effects, gorgeous card Ingrid.....and your mums pergamano samples are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mums pergamano pieces are stunning. Thanks for the tips about brusho, I have some on order and look forward to trying them.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredibly pretty :) love all the goodness u shared !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Ingrid this is really a beautiful butterfly... I LOVE the colors... very vibrant and wild looking... Of course I love the purple butterfly... just exquisite in all ways... your Mum is very talented also... must run in the family. Tell her, that her play and work is wonderfully done... that is not easy... done it myself a few times... but not as good as any of these... that is hard to do... and she is a winner... just like her daughter... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well Ingrid, it is easy to see where you get your wonderful talent from! Your Mum's creations are absolutely stunning!

    Love your Brusho butterfly, it is gorgeous. I have a few and have had a play too and I absolutely love them too! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, these are the Brusho's you mentioned! They make me think of Bistre a bit, except for the colors, these are far more bright. Wow, this card you made with them really pops from the screen, a gorgeous creation!!
    And your mom is a very talented lady, her work is so delicate and lovely, sweet of you to put her in the spotlight, she deserves that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very striking card, Ingrid! The butterfly is stunning. Thank you for sharing your lovely work with us at Stamping Sensations. I also love Brushos, and I think everyone will find your tips for working with them very useful. Your mum's artwork is beautiful!

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ingrid. Enjoy your fond memories of your Grandma today as you celebrate her.

    LOVE your mom's beautiful artwork. I have never seen anything like this before ... so delicate and looks like they would have taken a long time to make. Everyone one is so beautiful.

    And your card ... WOW! Love how you've done the brushos background and then the butterfly in top --- amazing design and amazing colors. Thanks for sharing all the things you've learned through experimenting with this new product. Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect image for your background! I love seeing your process on how this all came together. Thank you so much for playing along with us in the Make Your Own Background Challenge over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful card!! And your Mum is very talented!! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your creative background card with it's beautiful bright colour. Thanks for showing all the details of the crystals. Your Mum is a very talented lady and her work is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good Morning from the Uk Ingrid - jus popped by to see what you have been up too - and I;m so glad I did your Card is amazing and wow your mums work is stunning so intricate in detail - just beautiful

    see you soon x Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good morning to you Ingrid, Fab makes by your Mum, what a talented pair you are :D I love her pergamano and your tutorial and tips are great, loving the butterfly card too Hugs Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning did I tell you stunning lol!! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us this week at CCCB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ingrid, this is absolutely fabulous! I love how you've stamped the butterfly over the background then laid down the purple layer. Aren't Brushos fun? Off to look at your next one now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great results here . .. I LOVE my Brusho's. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your Mums pergamano boxes are gorgeous.
    Stunning butterfly card. Haven't tried the Brushos but have taken notes.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for joining Stamping Sensations, good luck.
    Happy crafting,
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.