Friday, 5 December 2014

GD for Country View Challenges: 'Nostalgic Christmas'

Hello! 

Thank you for visiting! I'd like to welcome you today to enjoy reading a little bit about the process of making my vintage Christmas wall hanging that I am sharing over at the Country View Challenges website as a Guest Designer. 

If you read my guest post you know that I promised to reveal three tips on how to create these branches, how to make a custom coloured seal like the one here (or anything else you desire) and how to add a touch of subtle sparkle to your grungy distressed background. I shall tell tell so read on... 


Firstly, here's a photo of what it is I am talking about... 



I hope you like this mixed media Christmas hanging. It took quite some time to make as pretty much everything you see was handcrafted and is my own design. There are only a few elements like the materials, the printed images and the little branch die cut on the left that aren't. Let's start with what I used... 

-greyboard covered in burlap (the ugly Sainsbury's bag just keeps giving!:))
- white Gesso by Daler & Rowney
- glitter pastes by GlitzCraft, acrylic paint, glitters
- cardstock, copy paper, pattern paper, mulberry fibrous paper (cream colour)
- Distress Inks by Tim Holtz (Gathered Twigs, Walnut Stain, Peeled Paint, Barn Door), VersaMark ink
- Dylusions Sprays (Dirty Martini, Cherry Pie)
- air-drying clay
- glue, double sided strong tape
- Brusho (Brilliant red)
- clear EP, dark golde EP, Tim Holtz ‘rust’ EP
- red embroidery thread, natural rope, natural linen ribbon, pipe cleaners
- badge making set (see my Santa badge ;)), brads
- metal sheet

I think this is pretty much it, but I am not listing each tool... that would be craziness. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Now let me tell you a little bit about how it was made... 

It all started with the burlap bag... which was cut up to cover my grey board and then partially covered in a white gesso...




If you have been following my blog you'll know that I like to combine grungy and distressed with glitzy and sparkly! Odd combination, you might think, but I really like it... I even named it :) I call it a 'glam grunge'... catchy, right?!:) hehe... anyway, so I had another 'what if I did this' moment and created a custom paste that is grungy, textured yet has a subtle sparkle, perfect for any mixed media project. Here's my tip no 1.... 



As you can see in the picture, I took a little bit of the Liquitex modeling paste, a little amount of a golden acrylic paint, a dash of my favourite 'Sand' and Light Green gorgeous yummy glitter frosting pastes, both by GlitzCraft, I added an ultra-fine rose glitter with some yellow cheapo gold chunkier glitter into the mix later, mixed it up and stenciled using the gorgeous lattice stencil by Tim Holtz that was so kindly gifted to me by my sweet friend Donna.... Thank you, Sweetness! x

Now you might think this is it, but read on! There's trick to this... after I managed to rewire the plug on my heat tool,because it blew up, using nothing but my potato peeler and my craft scissors, I dried the whole background. Once the paste was totally dry and hardened I decided to to sand it down to reveal the gorgeous sparkle!!! This is what will give you the subtle sparkling effect. Here's the secret revealed! I LOVE it! You can use any colour of paint and glitters... the possibilities are endless! 





I kept adding the Walnut Distress Ink with a touch of water to the background to make it look old. I don't know how you tend to work, but I usually work and spend time on each element until I am happy with it and can lay it down on my background to see how it can be incorporated in. Sometimes I use it sometimes it gets used later on something else. Here are a few things I prepared using the same paste on a piece of a cardstock. I created my mulberry paper panel for my photo, heat embossed the shop bought die cut stars with my dark golden and rusty embossing powders, created my rusted Santa badge using the same embossing powder, a pattern paper and a bought badge set.... 



The poinsettias were made out of a white cardstock that was treated with the Distress inks, water and Dylusions, dried, fussy cut out my flower shapes, distressed more, squashed ends, distressed more, adhered together with a double sided tape and blinged up with stickles and the gorgeous ultra-fine rose gold coloured glitter... 



The little red berries are made out of a air-drying clay, hot glued in between my handcrafted leaves. 


The little music sheet, the Santa letter scroll and the main image were all found on Pinterest. I managed to track down the music sheet creator (great blog btw!), I hope at least, but I can also recommend the Graphic's Fairy or The Old Design Shop that I like to visit to find some vintage or other printable goodies. If I ever find the link to the Santa image I will add it here. 



The little scroll is printed out, distressed with inks, abused a little and secured with a bit of a red thread that was also 'dirtied' with the walnut stain ink. The little seal was fun to make! This brings me to my second tip.... again, it started with 'what if I did'... I smudged a little bit of the Barn Door ink onto my craft sheet, added a few sprinkles of the Brilliant Red brusho crystals, a spoon of my clear EP,mixed it up and heated it...stamped into it, let it dry... 




I thought, brilliant! I can use one of my badge bases and a round ornamental stamp to create a little seal! It's really simple and easy to create any embellishment for your craft this way and the colour will match your ink! Try it! Let me know what you think... 

The rusty sentiment is made of a simple silver embossed metal foil sheet that was cut to size and embossed using my Tiddly Inks folder, heat embossed, bent, pierced with my rusted brads (all using the EP) and hot glued on top of the natural strip (yes, it is from the burlap bag, used to be a handle :))...



The pine branches are also simple to make... 



Add a tiny bit of a double sided tape onto the end of your pipe clear and start rolling slightly on a diagonal to your paper... just like in the photo above. Add another piece of a double sided tap when you get to the end and voila! You have a pine branch...my paper was a copy paper colorized using the Dylusions Dirty Martini, Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain (Distress Inks). It's nicer to make your own coloured paper rather than using a solid coloured paper... it just looks more natural with the colour variation... the choice is yours however. And this was my final tip for you! If you have any questions about any element of this hanging then leave me a comment and I will get back to you asap!

I tried to make this hanging look very, very old. As if someone hung it up many centuries ago and left it there... I hope I have achieved this. Let me know what you think... I appreciate and read all your comments. 

Some more close ups for you... 






Challenges entered:
Frilly & Funkie - A vintage holiday
The Mixed Media Monthly  - Tic Tac Toe (Star, Pattern Paper & Ribbon - I hope my Sainsbury's handle counts as a ribbon *wink wink *)
Wow! Embossing Powders - Memories (As per my post, heaps of rusty and other embossing here...)
That's Crafty - All about faces
The Mirror Crack'd - recycle/upcycle or Christmas (all in!)


Thank you for stopping by and be sure to come back soon for more crafty ideas and inspiration. Oh, and btw... 

Help yourself to our buddy button
*wink, wink * :)

Have a great day! Hugs, 

Ingrid xxx 

37 comments:

  1. It does look positively ancient Ingrid! Thanks for sharing the how to, I love how you created the greenery! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ingrid, I totally LOVE this!! What a fabulous piece of recycling!! of a Sainsbury bag! Love the way you have put the layers together and that old Santa image is so beautiful, - really stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great vintage decoration.. Love all your details and textures. Nxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fabulous Ingrid and I love your fir branch, might pinch that idea ;) Elizabeth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWSERS! Amazing project Ingrid and your tutorials are excellent...too bad I can't purchase a single one of those products here! Sad face. All your vintage bits and pieces are absolutely fantastic! You put so much heart and soul into this project and it paid off! Just stunning! Congratulations on your guest spot! They are completely lucky to have you share your inspirational work with them! big hugs my crafty friend!

    PS. If you can get your hand on the Cheery Lynn Cutie Fringe 2 die, it will make your pine branch process much easier...that's what I use and it's quick and painless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm speechless Inka....BEAUTIFUL texture and the details are just wonderful. Love everything about it,I think this is one of your finest makes and that's saying a lot!! You've shared some really funky ideas there too,love that seal,must try that one :)

    Extra big vintage hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love this....your glam grunge tech is superb and thanks for all those tips. Great job here Ingrid..I just love the way you used that burlap bag and the handle. Have a great weekend dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fantastic project Ingrid. Thanks soooo much for sharing how it was made and giving lots of tips. I think I'll HAVE to try the seal making.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ingrid, wow this is stunning, fabulous job done here.

    Teighan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card and brilliantly designed with lovely colour combo as well as your gorgeous added beauties.Just love this outcome.xxxx
    {The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  11. A stunning hanging , loved all the additions its a great tutorial and photos.
    Yvonne x
    p.s. This beauty would fit the current challenge theme over at the Artist Trading post Exchange as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is FANTASTIC! I would hang this on my wall any day of the week. You truly are a master of layering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful canvas Ingrid, a lot of hard work has gone into your creation. It does look vintage so you have achieved your goal. My favourite part are the distressed poinsettias, exceptionally lovely.

    Congrats on GD spot, am sure you will be back there again very soon:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This hanging is chock full of shabby and vintage goodness. Love all the layers and the great techniques you have used, which you kindly shared. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ingrid, this is simply beyond WORDS gorgeous! Wow! So much technique and design was involved, all from your beautifully crafty heart! Every moment spent on this was well worth it, as this is spectacular. The image itself is stunning and I don't even know what to say about the entire design around Santa... the glittery stenciling, the ultra-textural flowers, the beautifully detailed seal. I could go on and on. I really hope I have time to experiment in things like this before the new year, but I can never get ahead enough. :( Inspiring creation, my talented friend! I hope your weekend is as lovely as this masterpiece! :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. stunning make - love the crackle - thanks for your kind thoughts - just to let you know Shaun was doing very well at hospital today and I feel positive. Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful work of art Ingrid! Love all the texture and beautiful Poinsettias! That vintage Santa image is gorgeous! What a stunning keepsake to treasure! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Ingrid! I saw the thumbnail over at Frilly and funkie and I needed to stop and have a peek! What a STUNNING vintage creation. And all handcrafted! Love that, and that you have spent a ton of time explaining every detail--an excellent tutorial! Congrats on the Guest Designer spot and all your recent wins! You are an incredible artist! PS. Love the fringe that you transformed into branches! And those berries! Amazing work, all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't even have the words to describe how impressed I am by this extraordinary wall hanging, Ingrid! Thank you for sharing the process, too! You are so talented and creative!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just amazing Ingrind and wow ... how clever this embellishments tip! Thank you!
    What about linking to our POINSETTIA theme over at
    MOO-MANIA & MORE -CHALLENGE
    I would be really happy about!

    xxx
    hugs
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness me! I am so impressed!! You have gone to so much effort and it was well worth it - this is amazing! Thank you for joining us at WOW! Embossing Powder :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning!!!! Thank you for the tips.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great project and the results are brilliant. Thanks for joining in the challenge at the mirror crack'd. Happy crafting, Angela R. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on ur GD, the layers and textures are amazing, the crackle paste on the focal image is such a brilliant idea :) I am in awe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the GT Ingrid!!!! Awesome texture and crackle, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow ... what an amazing project. They are so lucky to have you as GD! Thanks so much for sharing all the things you learned while creating this stunning wall hanging. Creativity abounds on your blog Ingrid! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Still catching up... just left some love over at CVC - how lovely to have you with us this month!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a nice and amazing Vintage Card. I love it so much. Very well done.
    Dear Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  29. Positively outstandingly gorgeous!!! I LOVE every part of this Ingrid. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I almost missed this one, because of a busy schedule, but saw it when I saw the post above. Wow, great work, Ingrid, Love the vintage feel and all the yummy details!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great vintage project. I love all the layering. Thanks for joining us this month at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my, what a fab post, congrats on your guest DT spot...well deserved and just a wonderful vintage creation, absolutely love this....Hugs Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOW!! BEAUTIFUL In Deed!! I LOVE the Sparkle, Design and the Colors!! The tutorials are ALL AWESOME!! =) I just LOVE ALL of the Details!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS Holiday Weekend!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. this is amazing! i love how vintage you made everything feel! and i really love that you made your own burlap panel :) stunning piece! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge! And Happy New year!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW! What an amazing project! LOVE all the textures and details! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my what a stunner. Such a fabulous tutorial with all those pictures. I love your way of describing things, and I am still giggling at you 'abusing a little' your scroll!

    Thanks for sharing this visual delight with us

    Lin
    The Mirror Crack'd

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.