Tuesday, 7 April 2015

File journal page #2 + Faux Rusted Wire technique!

Hey! 

I bet you didn't expect me to back so soon! :) 

Not so long ago I created a mixed media piece for the launch of my Mixed Media World challenge blog. I used a perfectly authentic rusty 60's nails (personally yanked out of our wooden floor during some repairs) with some totally fake rusted 'wire'.... It was then when I promised to tell you how I achieved the rusted 'wire' added to my butterfly... 



Can you tell the difference? It looks real!! Today I'm going to tell you how you can make your very own rusted 'wire' or any other piece for your artwork. Here it goes... 

Take an ordinary twine or a string, squish it in the VersaMark embossing ink until totally saturated and cover in the Rust Effect/Vintage Photo Distress Embossing powder and heat emboss. be careful... the embossed twine will be hot! Make sure you have some tweezers or similar to hand to hold it with and then lay on a craft mat or something to let cool down. I like to emboss this twine twice. I also have an old Versmark embossing pad and a new one. I use the old one for mixed media messy projects and the new one for any neat cardmaking projects. That way if I get any EP on the messy one it doesn't bother me. If you only have one and don't want to get it messy then add more EP to your twine whilst still hot as it will be still sticky and grab onto some more powder. 


The fun bit about this technique is that you are in effect turning your string into a plastic which will keep a shape when cooled down... 


If you feel like you want to push things further go ahead and do the same with a piece of a lace... 



How fun is that?! I played a little more with my File Journal and created a 2nd page where I incorporated my faux rusted pieces...




The circular element is the leftover plastic ring from my double-sided tape, believe it or not. I covered it in pieces of a masking tape, painted it using my Distress Stain (Brushed Curduroy), some Gesso and a bit of Potting Soil Archival ink. 



The background is made of various buttons, metal flowers and other fun texture adding media... A bit of Calypso Teal Dylusions, more Gesso, stamping using the gorgeous stamps from Andy Skinner by Stampendous, Prima crackle paste and more... 






I hope you enjoyed my post today. Feel free to share your thoughts! 

Challenges entered: 
Scrap Around The World - Mood Board inspiration (inspired by the colours, natural textures and ropes..)

Country View Challenges - Use a Kraft Card (The whole journal is made of a craft card recycled from my old file box -post here)
Stamps & Stencils - Anything Goes
Craft my Life - Anything But A Card

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you can come back soon for more mixed media and other crafty fun! 

All the best, 

Ingrid xxx 

37 comments:

  1. I've just deleted 4 comments instead of publishing them! oops! Sorry, ladies! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are such a clever girl,Inka! What a brilliant idea,never would have thought of that! I have that EP as well but usually only use it for rusting up paper die cut cogs and wheels.....guess what I'll be doing now then!
    Extra big thanks for sharing hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing at Mixed Media Ingrid. There is so much to look at and I just want to TOUCH that journal page.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely page, Ingrid and that rusted wire is just tooo good! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous page Ingrid. These colours are just amazing and I love all the wonderful items you used to create your texture! The wire technique is fabulous! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome - love this Ingrid and thanks for the secret too!!! Big hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. An amazing technique Ingrid, you are so creative and thanks for sharing this. I'll have to give this a go. Hugs,
    Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic journal page Ingrid ! Love the rusted twine, I will definitely be giving this a go ! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous pages and technique Ingrid...thanks for sharing. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous piece Ingrid. love the tips for the technique.
    Yvonne xx
    p.s. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pages Ingrid, thanks for sharing your techniques too :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed!!!
    Gorgeous background!!! Great AJ!
    Thanks for playing with us at SATW!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you did an amazing job with this! I love the textures and colors! Mixed media is so much fun to play with! Great piece! All the best from SATW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your rusty techniques, the lace and the string look fantastic. I love your pages so much texture and deep colour. they reflect that mood board so well . Thank you for joining us over at Stamps and Stencils toni x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool technique. I LOVE your mixed media piece!! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great technique and such a cool page. Love the colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colours and textures, I'm going to use your idea about the mood board and have a play with the rusting. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is fantastic! love all your techniques to create background.
    Thanks for joining us at Scrap Around The World this month.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh so behind with visiting at the moment so sorry if missed any posts. This is wonderful Ingrid, love then textures. I am a big fan of embossing powder on anything, lol. String is a great idea. Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a wonderful page!! I love all the details you have on your page, fantastic background work too! Thank you for joining the SATW challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a wonderful page!! I love all the details you have on your page, fantastic background work too! Thank you for joining the SATW challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great techniques!!! Thank you for sharing and thank you for joining us over at SATW xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic art! Amazing texture!Thanks for joining us at Scrap Around The World this month.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gosh sure I left a comment yesterday! Seems to have disappeared. Wonderful creation Ingrid. Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is just gorgeous,thanks for sharing with us at Country View .xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous project! The texture... colors, everything is perfect! Thanks so much for sharing the technique, love it! All the best from Scrap Around the World!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What is really cool is that your art actually looks like it's under water with that rust technique. Gorgeous creation. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the underseas atmosphere! and thanks for sharing the technique: great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh this is amazing! What a perfect take on the mood board! Thanks for playing along at SATW.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it! Rusty old stuff is a favorite of mine and it's reinforced the importance of keeping up to date on my tetanus vaccines !

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely fabulous. I love all the texture and the colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just stunning Ingrid, fabulous rust....love the turquoise hues...beautiful! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely gorgeous Ingrid. I'm a huge rust fan and this is a new one for me to try!Thanks so much for joining us at Stamps & Stencils - I'm playing catch up with comments before we pick our winners! Juliax

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.