Monday, 1 June 2015

Vintage canvas with Decoart

 Hi there!

It's the beginning of the month and time for a new challenge at the Eclectic Ellapu challenge blog! The challenge theme is 'anything goes' so nice and easy! This should give you a free hand and an opportunity for a real bit of artsy fun! I love creating what I want.. I'm starting to notice that I like my creations more when I have a bit more creative freedom, when I can be as creative as I like and see where my explorations take me. If there is a very specific theme that is not exactly up my street I tend to over-think it and end up not sure about it all. I think you know what I mean... 

So why not have a bit of fun just for yourself and then link your make to the challenge. We'd love to see what you come up with.. 

I wanted to play with all the gorgeous paints and various media from Decoart and so I chose to paint a canvas. It all starting with hard boiled eggs.. Yes, you are readings this correctly. Once I've eaten my breakfast, saving the egg shells, I peeled the egg membrane all off. A bit fiddly but not too bad. I gessoed my canvas and used the Liquitex Light Modelling Paste around the edges adding the egg shells, cracking them a little by pressing down on them. This was rather addictive so before I knew it I managed to frame the whole canvas adding some gauze as well as I went. I had to let this dry! Imagine the wait! I panted it in gesso twice, let it dry again... This is when the fun with the paint begun. I used so many gorgeous colours from the Americana Acrylics range... I started with Bittersweet Chocolate working the dark paint in between those shells and when dry lighter colours went on top. To name a few.. Cadmium Yellow, Antique Gold, Avocado, Sea Aqua, Indian Turquoise ( I think), Coral Blush, Arbor Green...gorgeous colours! I added some white splatters using the White Media Mister from the Mixed Media range and highlighted the raised areas with more gesso...



I printed this cute vintage image of a little girl in a green house blowing bubbles from the Old Vintage Shop blog (thank you, Julie!) and used the Image Transfer Medium for the application. I was going for the vintage finish so this image was perfect. Lovely bright colours for a vintage canvas, you might think. Well, I knew I was going to stain it in the end and used the Antique Decou-page at the very end which gave it that subdued vintage tones. I think it worked a treat! It did exactly what I wanted it to do so I'm very impressed! Decoart rocks! 



Now my canvas had a non-porous surface I went over the image using my Micron black 0.05 pen to make it more into a vintage illustration. My printer is a basic inkjet so the image wasn't very sharp to start with and was a bit lost in the background so it needed to stand out a bit more. This helped. However it needed some more work so I pulled out my beloved Big Brush Pens and coloured and shaded the entire image. The result of this is that what looks like my illustration is actually an easy image transfer. You could call it cheating, I call it being creative ;) 




The edges got darkened using my Potting Soil Archival Ink. And a dash of black Stazon... Job done! This was fun! I'm definitely going to play more this weekend so I should be back soon! 



I hope you enjoyed my post today, thank you for visiting, hope you can come back soon! All the best! 

Ingrid xxx

********************************************
Challenges:
Mixed Media Place - Drawing
Anything But Cute  - Vintage Garden (just can't resist entering & showing support! x)
Simon Wednesday Challenge  - Anything Goes




23 comments:

  1. What a beautiful canvas Ingrid! Loved your play with the egg shells and Decoart paints. You have captured the depth so well here and that faux image transfer IS creative! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous creation, so very dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, what a cute image you used. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this is wonderful Inka,very vintage looking and very you too ;)
    Big hugs
    Inky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Ingrid, this is so freaking awesome!! That image is tugging at my heart strings, little girls and baby kittens, it just doesn't get much more reminiscent than that! Your colours are so amazing, I just love how they blend together to create such a wonderful frame. And that texture, wow, it's straight out of an Disney book!! You have really created a gorgeous garden scene!!

    I am so honoured you have joined us at Anything But Cute for our 'Vintage Garden' challenge, I really appreciate your support! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous and this piece has such a beautiful vintage style to it, with the sweet 'illustration'!! The colours are just a dream to look at and it looks like you've found an old, antique children's book.

    Hugs
    Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous canvas Ingrid...love your egg shell frame and gorgeous colours. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous canvas Ingrid, love the textures of the eggshell border framing that gorgeous image.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, this is beyond beautiful, stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FABULOUS WONDERFUL GORGEOUS and soooo soooo soooo PRECIOUS. How could it be any more perfect.... and EGG SHELLS - Wow - true mixed media. She is INCREDIBLE - just like you and your wonderful creations Ingrid. j.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello Ingrid! super gorgeous...wow! so glad you played along with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!! Ingrid you are one heck of an artist!!! So much texture and I love that vintage scene! Thank you so much for joining our Vintage Garden challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely out of this world, Ingrid! I adore those perfectly blended colours and your genius idea to use egg shells! What a beautiful dreamy vintage image! Love, love, love your brilliant mixed media canvas!
    Thank you so much for joining in our 'Vintage Garden' challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy eggshells and a dollop of DecoArt! Wowza! This is such a splendid vintage design and the colors are oodles of gorgeousness. Absolutely an amazing job on your lovely vintage garden canvas Ingrid! Awesome sauce!

    Thanks for joining in our first challenge, "Vintage Garden", at Anything But Cute. Hugz. ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to try and compose myself, and just say that your vintage canvas ROCKS! Eggshells!???? We always have a sink full for me to wash out, but they go in the compost bin! I think I will have to save a few for the Closet! Your coloring is just vintage goodness, and your illustration is SO creative! Ingrid, I am loving this canvas from start to finish. Thank you for taking us through your process!

    And thank you so much for joining our Vintage Garden challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous. Love the application of egg shells to create the frame around that gorgeous vintage image. Thanks for sharing it with us at Anything But Cute.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous creation Ingrid! Egg shells really - I am seeing some fabulous creativity on blogger this evening, Nxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning effect hun and guess what I was thinking egg shells couple of weekes ago when I was playing with mussel shells - how freaky is that. Your canvas is stunning and should be pride of plave on your wall - love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all the texture ! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great piece of art! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very very beautiful! I love it! Thank you so much for joining our challenge at Mixed Media Place!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! And very creative! Thank you for joining Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So creative - from eggshells to image transfers via lots of fabulous paint layers - it's great, Ingrid!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.