It's the beginning of the month and time for a new challenge at the Eclectic Ellapu challenge blog! The challenge theme is 'anything goes' so nice and easy! This should give you a free hand and an opportunity for a real bit of artsy fun! I love creating what I want.. I'm starting to notice that I like my creations more when I have a bit more creative freedom, when I can be as creative as I like and see where my explorations take me. If there is a very specific theme that is not exactly up my street I tend to over-think it and end up not sure about it all. I think you know what I mean...
So why not have a bit of fun just for yourself and then link your make to the challenge. We'd love to see what you come up with..
I wanted to play with all the gorgeous paints and various media from Decoart and so I chose to paint a canvas. It all starting with hard boiled eggs.. Yes, you are readings this correctly. Once I've eaten my breakfast, saving the egg shells, I peeled the egg membrane all off. A bit fiddly but not too bad. I gessoed my canvas and used the Liquitex Light Modelling Paste around the edges adding the egg shells, cracking them a little by pressing down on them. This was rather addictive so before I knew it I managed to frame the whole canvas adding some gauze as well as I went. I had to let this dry! Imagine the wait! I panted it in gesso twice, let it dry again... This is when the fun with the paint begun. I used so many gorgeous colours from the Americana Acrylics range... I started with Bittersweet Chocolate working the dark paint in between those shells and when dry lighter colours went on top. To name a few.. Cadmium Yellow, Antique Gold, Avocado, Sea Aqua, Indian Turquoise ( I think), Coral Blush, Arbor Green...gorgeous colours! I added some white splatters using the White Media Mister from the Mixed Media range and highlighted the raised areas with more gesso...
I printed this cute vintage image of a little girl in a green house blowing bubbles from the Old Vintage Shop blog (thank you, Julie!) and used the Image Transfer Medium for the application. I was going for the vintage finish so this image was perfect. Lovely bright colours for a vintage canvas, you might think. Well, I knew I was going to stain it in the end and used the Antique Decou-page at the very end which gave it that subdued vintage tones. I think it worked a treat! It did exactly what I wanted it to do so I'm very impressed! Decoart rocks!
Now my canvas had a non-porous surface I went over the image using my Micron black 0.05 pen to make it more into a vintage illustration. My printer is a basic inkjet so the image wasn't very sharp to start with and was a bit lost in the background so it needed to stand out a bit more. This helped. However it needed some more work so I pulled out my beloved Big Brush Pens and coloured and shaded the entire image. The result of this is that what looks like my illustration is actually an easy image transfer. You could call it cheating, I call it being creative ;)
The edges got darkened using my Potting Soil Archival Ink. And a dash of black Stazon... Job done! This was fun! I'm definitely going to play more this weekend so I should be back soon!
I hope you enjoyed my post today, thank you for visiting, hope you can come back soon! All the best!
Mixed Media Place - Drawing
Anything But Cute - Vintage Garden (just can't resist entering & showing support! x)
Simon Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes