Sunday, 11 October 2015

MMW#8: Anything Goes on Wood


Hi there, lovelies!

I hope you are enjoying your Sunday! I had a busy one so far. Posting at Mixed Media World this morning was not an easy task. I recently got a new laptop... well, as swanky and nice as it is I am still finding my way around it and the Windows 10. I was like a mad scientist this morning using two laptops as I had things in two places and some functions were not working out on the new laptop. But I got there in the end!

There is a brand new challenge starting at the Mixed Media World challenge blog and a good one too! Mo is asking us to create Anything on Wood! How fun is that! So hop over to see what my teamies created to inspire you for this challenge and join in! It is sponsored by...


http://www.artisttradingpost.com/

... and you can win a £20 voucher to their online store! Give it a go!

I decided to play with the organic wax I bought no so long ago in order to try out some encaustic techniques. I would like to say that I am a no pro in this and was only using my heat gun to melt the wax. I had a great fun experimenting and would like to show you what came out of it...

You know me, I hate throwing anything away. So when my other half fitted the floor board and was about to chuck the small left over pieces of wood I stepped in! It raised some eyebrows again, but I thought what a waste :) I stashed in in my cupboard and left it there... a story of my life at the moment... but anyway... It got handy now! I pulled a few pieces of papers and fabrics out and got started.



I roughly glued a piece of old dictionary page to the centre of the wood, dried it and peeled it off around the edges as if I made a mistake and wanted to remove it. I sanded it down a bit more. I added my first layer of wax, added some torn pieces of a doily, brown paper, fibre paper with a dried leaf within it, some lace and even a piece of a rusted linen (my favourite). I also added some accents and edging with a black Carran D'Ache Neocolor II crayon. This is what made it so grungy looking. Just what I wanted!



The flower is a totally different story. I made a few of them the other day. I die cut the flowers using the Joy Crafts Flower Die, Tattered Flower Die by Tim Holtz & the gorgeous Lace Flower die by Prima, made them looking all nice and rusty and put them together. The fabric flower die cut was stiffened using the Fabric Stiffener by Decoart and a heat fun. This stuff is brilliant! Let me know if you would be interested to know how to create these. Maybe I can make a tutorial for you one day. Here are some other bits I made for other projects...




I finished the piece of by added a couple of eyes to the top, wrapped a piece of rusty wire to them for hanging and ta dah! That was fun! I can't wait to read Sarah Duran Wilson's new book about 48 wax free ways of creating encausting effects. I do love the blessed bees! I have pre-ordered it on Amazon... bring on 19th November!




Thank you for stopping by!

Hugs,

Ingrid xxx

********************************************************************************
Challenges: 
Simon Says Monday Challenge  - Autumn in in the Air
Coutry View Challeges - Add some texture
Try It On Tuesdays - Autumn (hope it is autumnal enough :))
Love to Create  - Anything Mixed Media/Creative Goes





21 comments:

  1. love it ! je vais aussi essayer la cire :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful project Ingrid! Thank you very much for sharing with us at Try It On Tuesday!
    ♥♥♥
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really is stunning and definitely Autumnal enough I'd say! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a piece of floorboard has never looked so good Ingrid! I love the techniques you used and your flowers are absolutely stunning... beautiful work! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh very scrummy Ingrid, I've had some bees wax beads for ages and never used it yet, might have to have it a go after seeing this.
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think a floorboard has ever looked better! I say kudos to you for rescuing so many things that others would consider junk. You are a master at turning the ordinary into something extraordinary. I adore all of the lovely textures that you created and the color palette is striking. This has a wonderful Autumn feeling without being predictable. It is refreshing and I'm so glad you shared your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Ingrid, amazing stuff!! And to think it started with an old floor board! The textures look incredible with that wax on top! And wowsers, I love all those rusted up bits and pieces for future projects! The flowers look stunning and I for one would be very interested in a tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha you get the raised eyebrow treatment too then?! I love this Inka, it's very you and now I must dig out my beeswax too ;)
    Big hugs
    Inky xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful project! I love those flowers, a tutorial would certainly be welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would LOVE to see a tutorial on these amazing grungy flowers!!! :) Yes please! Awesome project, love the upcycled floorboards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic mixed media creation, this looks awesome! Great textures and amazing flowers. Your work is always so interesting Ingrid.
    Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday.
    Mar x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hun this is lovely, the colours and textures are just beautiful to look at. So glad you got there with the new laptop, I remember (and still) feeling the same when I switched to Mac. The phrase 'Bang Head Here' came to mind a lot!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fantastic mixed media piece, super details. Thank you for joining us at TioT's as well.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning piece of encaustic art Ingrid. Hope you enjoyed playing on a wood substrate, it is one of my favourites.

    Glad you got your laptop sorted, anything new takes a little parience and experimentation. Sticking to Win7 for a while longer but i hope to eventually upgrade to Win10 app based software.

    Mo:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous piece of mixed media art, Ingrid. Love the wax work and gorgeous autumnal colours.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous and inspiring Ingrid! I love your use of wax-the organic look to this piece very much appeals to me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning, absolutely stunning!! Such a gorgeous piece of chucked floor board (I wouldn't have wanted to be tossed into the trash either). I have so much to learn about Mixed Media and I am so blessed by the talent of all my teamies at MMW. I learn so much from all of you..The colors are gorgeous. I had no idea what could be created with wax. The flower is gorgeous. And yes - I would love to see a tutoriaI.

    With hugs and smiles always
    Laine K

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous piece, stunning flowers and texture. Thanks so much for joining in the We Love To Create Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm back to say thanks so much for playing along at Country View Challenges.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ingrid, just wanted to tell you that I finally found the time to read your post and see your art as a great sample for the current MMW challenge.. Wow, gorgeous make using some wax, rusted wire, and some fabulous flowers!!!!!
    About the flowers, you can do a tutorial on them if time enough, I will be thrilled to read it thanks!! :)
    Hugs, Coco xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a great day! Ingrid xxx
p.s.: Sorry, my comments are now moderated due to some low lives posting spam on my account.